Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

purple nipples when using breast pump

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 11:33 PM
  • 9 Replies

I've noticed that my nipple turns purple when I use my breast pump. Has anyone else had this happen and is there anything I can do to stop it?

thanks

by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommaslilman06
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 11:40 PM

its possible your turning the pump up too high. are you using a manual or an electric?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers        PhotobucketPhotobucketbreastfeeding,8 month

luvbeingmama
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 11:42 PM

maybe you need to go up a size on your breastshield

Daynaof3
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Do you often have cold hands or feet or experience pain from the cold? Do you have any pain while nursing or pumping? It is possible you have the suction up too high, but if you notice any of the first two questions it's possible you have reynauds and/or vasospasms.

Lavagirl
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 1:44 PM

What type of pump do you have?  I used to have an Ameda (Purely Yours), and it did the same thing to me.  It not only turned my sister's nipps purple, but it made hers crack as well.  That hard, clear plastic flange just does a number on your boob! 

When I got a Medela Pump in Style Advanced, life became WONDERFUL as far as pumping was concerned.  All purple nurples were a thing of the past, and the PISA made me pump out twice as much milk.  A number of people I know that go with lesser brands have experienced the purple nips while pumping.  I've NEVER heard such complaints, and have only heard amazing things about the Medela Pump in Style Advanced....myself included.  Good luck!  You can find a good used Medela PISA on Craigslist for as little as $75.

motherdiva29
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I usually don't have cold hands or feet, but I've noticed that when i'm somewhere cold, my nipples do start to hurt.  I'm using the medela harmony manual breast pump. 

I never thought to look on craigslist for a used one, that is much more affordable.

mama-w-peanut
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Quoting Daynaof3:

Do you often have cold hands or feet or experience pain from the cold? Do you have any pain while nursing or pumping? It is possible you have the suction up too high, but if you notice any of the first two questions it's possible you have reynauds and/or vasospasms.

can you expand on these? im going to look it up too but i experience this! I hate going out when its cold becasue my nipples HURT!!! and my hands and feet are always cold! i have been nursing for 5 months now and still go through phases where my nipples hurt when nursing/pumping! and use my nipples turn purple after nursing and pumping!

Daynaof3
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Here's a link for you:  http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipple-blanching.html

Quoting mama-w-peanut:

Quoting Daynaof3:

can you expand on these? im going to look it up too but i experience this! I hate going out when its cold becasue my nipples HURT!!! and my hands and feet are always cold! i have been nursing for 5 months now and still go through phases where my nipples hurt when nursing/pumping! and use my nipples turn purple after nursing and pumping!

mama02040608
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I just wanted to add, it may have nothing to do with the "quality" of the pump.  I have temporarily purple nipples everytime I pump, and I have used the highest quality Medelas and the Ameda at present.  Part of it for me may be the suction, but sometimes I do have to crank it to get done and get back to my patients.  Others may just be more sensitive and/or have vasospasm like pp said.

Just wanted to let mommas know they don't have to lay out more cash if they're encountering this issue.

motherdiva29
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:37 AM

I think i'm having vasospams, but I don't think its reynaulds. I don't have the color change on the nipples that happens with reynaulds. one of the pumps i have does a super strong suction when it is first turned on, I didn't know about this, and so I had placed on the breast and turned it on and ohhh did that hurt, really, really hurt. Its possible I damaged the nipple and that is what is causing the vasospams. Sometimes I have blanching due to poor latching.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)