Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

BF'ing less often

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 7:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

Now I know that as babies get older they don't nurse as often but I am curious about how often my 2 month old son should be nursing. 

"I know I am not perfect. I don't live my life to be. But before you go pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
supermom8888
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Very.  As often as he tells you he's hungry and means it.  I think at 2 months DD was nursing every 2.5 to 3 hours.  BabyWise is a great book and talks about nursing schedules.  You should check it out.

lexisamom2b
summer <3
Yesterday at 1:51 PM
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 7:39 PM

my son ate every 2 hours or so.....i know every baby is different!

AppleDaisy
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 7:47 PM

I think I'll have to start paying more attention to the time when I am nursing him for the next couple of days.  But it seems like he is only nursing about 6-7 times a day (if that) at night he tends to sleep on my boob a lot though.  He sleeps for about 3 hours in the afternoon and can usually sleep 2 hours straight during the evenings.

"I know I am not perfect. I don't live my life to be. But before you go pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
Arisce
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Just an FYI, BabyWise has been recommended against by the AAP due to it being linked with FFT in breastfed infants.

Mom2Bria
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I agree with a PP..Babywise is a good book....but for guidelines.....I wasn't thrilled with some of there ideas....but there sleep eat wake schedual works like a charm...don't get babywise II what a waste of time and money! At 2 months my DD was eating every 2.5- 3 hours and started sleeping threw the night at like 8-9 weeks!!!!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 4, 2009 at 11:35 PM
Quoting supermom8888:

Very.  As often as he tells you he's hungry and means it.  I think at 2 months DD was nursing every 2.5 to 3 hours.  BabyWise is a great book and talks about nursing schedules.  You should check it out.

Um. Babywise is actually NOT recommended for nursing moms. In fact, the AAP recommends against it because the feeding methods are linked to failure to thrive.

For the OP...the answer is ALWAYS "as often as baby wants" and the marker your ALWAYS look for is the number of dipe changes.

AppleDaisy
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 12:09 AM

How many wet diapers should he have (average) per day?  He seems to only be pooping every second day too. 

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting supermom8888:

Um. Babywise is actually NOT recommended for nursing moms. In fact, the AAP recommends against it because the feeding methods are linked to failure to thrive.

For the OP...the answer is ALWAYS "as often as baby wants" and the marker your ALWAYS look for is the number of dipe changes.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 5, 2009 at 2:29 AM
Quoting AppleDaisy:

How many wet diapers should he have (average) per day?  He seems to only be pooping every second day too. 

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting supermom8888:

6-8 CHANGES per day at this point. Content matters not. He will poop even LESS frequently than he does now...also normal!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)