Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

i feel like she wants to eat too frequently??

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 4:26 PM
  • 12 Replies

my 5 wk old daughter seems to want to eat every 2 hrs or less. i am a  sahm so for now i dont mind but im wondering if im creating a bad habit. i wish she'd eat longer each time to increase time in between feedings but she seems to either get sleepy or just kinda suck only here and there after a lil while...

also...am i right that babies will take the breast even if theyre not hungry if we offer it to them when theyre cranky and nothing else seems  to work??

by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChazznRoccosmom
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Just feed on demand. As she ages, she'll need to eat less often. You can nurse in a boring, quiet room to help keep her focused, but it might not work. For many babies that age, eating that frequent is normal. She is, after all, still establishing a supply. Also, yes, they pretty much take the boob for everything, and that's okay too. We were kinda meant for that. Breastfed babies don't neccessarily need pacifiers because we are their pacifiers, we are their comfort. Again, as they age, that'll stop. Just follow babies demands.

Mom             Dad         Chazz (7y)   Rocco (4y)    Joey (11m)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who still loves her  tattoos, piercings, makeup and hairdye.

LittleMonster22
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 4:41 PM

thank you :) i do use a pacifier sometimes when i need a break. but i was also worried that allowing her to use me as a pacifier was a bad idea....happy to hear its okay :)

sweetpz
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I'm a believer that you cannot nurse too often.  If they are full they won't eat, so they won't often try to use you as a pacifier unless they've already nursed all the milk...IMO.  My husband used to think that my baby wanted to eat too often (his first son was formula fed on a schedule) but now, two babies later, he understands that they nurse for comfort and food at the same time and it's ok and normal to do it quite frequently.

SoniaL
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 6:33 PM

My baby is 4 months and just recently (like within the last week or so) starte to nurse every 3 hours or so and goes longer at night. She was at every 2 hours until then. She also took a pacifier from birth and has had no issues. Now she sucks her fingers over her paci.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 5, 2009 at 9:25 PM
Quoting LittleMonster22:

my 5 wk old daughter seems to want to eat every 2 hrs or less.

Normal normal normal.

i am a  sahm so for now i dont mind but im wondering if im creating a bad habit.

Nope. The OPNLY way you can create a bad habit is feeding your child sweets or giving her every toy she sees when she becomes a toddler. That's it.

i wish she'd eat longer each time to increase time in between feedings but she seems to either get sleepy or just kinda suck only here and there after a lil while...

She will...when SHE is ready to.

also...am i right that babies will take the breast even if theyre not hungry if we offer it to them when theyre cranky and nothing else seems  to work??

Yes. It's comfort nursing and is to be encouraged as it also helps encourage supply.

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2009 at 9:40 PM

it is very normal for a 5wk baby! many babies get better and more efficient around 4 months but some sooner and some later!

the more she nurses now the better. It will build your supply and she will become bigger and stronger and more efficient at it with lots of practice. every two hours is good and most babies will cluster feed every hour or less right  before a long sleep! It is good if they do this especially in the evenings because if they fill up they will be able to sleep longer without waking to nurse.

Just give it some time, it sounds like your doing good. soon she will be bigger and her jaw will be stronger and she will be more awake and alert and she will be able to nurse less often and for less amounts of time.

Mommy2SirIzy
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 9:43 PM

My son is also about 5 wks and he does the same thing... some times he will wake up out of his sleep after only 20min. and want to nurse again. THANK the lord for nipple creams!!! I am just greatful that I am a SAHM, because now is the most amazing time for me to bond with my little man!

nici3
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 9:50 PM

DS ate every hour to two hours until he was 5 months old. Now that he's adjusted to solids, he's still nursing every two hours with three solid meals AND JUICE

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 5, 2009 at 10:43 PM
Quoting nici3:

DS ate every hour to two hours until he was 5 months old. Now that he's adjusted to solids, he's still nursing every two hours with three solid meals AND JUICE

Beware on the juice...the sugars can cause issues with the teeth (but I'm sure you're brushing)...and with blood sugar levels. Carbs, y'now? You fill up on those and then get hungry again two hours later. **grin**

Try nursing instead of the juice. Or plain water.

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Just make sure your nursing him before the meals. the first year of life, babys get 90% of their nutrition from breastmilk/formual becasue they have more nutrient then any solid food out there. And you dont want him to fill up on the other stuff and then nurse less.

also that could make him hungery for more after 2 hours becasue he was fulll on the empty carbs and did not have as much breastmilk as he needed.

Quoting nici3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)