Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Cluster feedings already

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 6:32 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi ladies!! I just had a new baby girl a few days ago and she's already started the cluster feedings. Is this right? My milk came in last night but the past 2 nights she's been nursing pretty much nonstop for 3-4 hours a night. I've tried using a paci to curb it a lil but she's just not interested. She just wants to eat to get to sleep then once she's out and we put her down she's right back awake wanting more. Any tips for me? I've got a 21 month old running around already so I can't sit around 24/7 nurisng. HELP!!!

by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Daynaof3
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 8:56 PM

It's very normal, sounds like the first of many growth spurts! I can remember those days when I would think there was no possible way they were still hungry, but they always were! It won't stay that way forever I promise. Invest in a sling to help you be able to nurse while doing other things. Involve your 21 month old in caring for baby, like getting mommy the wipes or a washcloth or diaper. You can read to them while you nurse too, I did that with my son and when he could read he would read to them.

lilrie1980
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I COMPLETELY understand how you feel.  My DD was 20 months old when my DS was born (he is now 5 months), I never felt like I could remove my boob and I felt so bad for my DD who I couldn't spend special time with her.  The answer?  There isn't one.  You have to find what works for you and your lil ones.  I would get family members to come over to play with my oldest one, take her places, etc.  Also, I would have special days for her where I would take her to the zoo, park, farm, etc.  My DS didn't want the paci either, it took a couple months before he wanted it, and even now he's not a paci baby.  I could never get the hang of a sling with a newborn so that never helped me but everyone says to try.  Just know that it won't last forever! 

momofcali3
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:12 PM

My daughter did that too when first born, shes almost 4mo now. I suggest alot of Elmo, just know that in time this will pass and you will not have to watch the red monster so much. Give up, and come to the conclusion that you house will be messy, dinner might be left to your husband to do (or take out) and this too shall pass. The joy of nursing is it does not hold them over the 3-4 hours like formula does. But our children are smarter, healthier, and are less like be obese........so worth it in the end :) Good luck and stay with it!!!

Just wait till your third.........

JPeterson
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Thanks ladies!! Last night was actually so much better. She would just wake up every 3-4 hours to eat and go right back to sleep.  So that was nice! I also was reading up on some bf and figured out she's not latching properly. So now we are working on that. Hopefully it makes a big difference. My hubby is home w/ us right now but I'm so scared when he goes back to work and I have 2 girls to keep up with. My oldest isn't hard, usually but I'm not looking forward to the days that she is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN