Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Baby weight gain

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 6:59 PM
  • 3 Replies

My ds was 5.11 1/2 at birth, he was 5.9 when I took him home 3 days later. His weight at 2 weeks was 6.7 at 1 month he was 8.5, at 2 months he was 8.12, and at 3 months he was 11.7, and today I estimated weighed him at 11.12.8. My question is his ped. told me to supplement formula at 2 months cuz she said he was under weight. I'm worried when I take him in on the 15th of this month that she's going to say he's underweight again. I want to ebf him from now on, but still use formula. I just started using the sns yesterday and he seems to be okay with it except he prefers to nurse on the right instead of the left. I'm just wondering what everyones opinion on my son's weight gain is and if the ped is going to make a remark that hes not gaining enough again.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
marilyn623
by Member on Sep. 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM

he seems to be gaining well, he just started small. my 5 month old is 12 lbs 12 oz and in the 2nd percentile.

Daynaof3
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Quoting Jaydenmommy09:

My ds was 5.11 1/2 at birth, he was 5.9 when I took him home 3 days later. His weight at 2 weeks was 6.7 at 1 month he was 8.5, at 2 months he was 8.12, and at 3 months he was 11.7, and today I estimated weighed him at 11.12.8. My question is his ped. told me to supplement formula at 2 months cuz she said he was under weight. I'm worried when I take him in on the 15th of this month that she's going to say he's underweight again. I want to ebf him from now on, but still use formula. I just started using the sns yesterday and he seems to be okay with it except he prefers to nurse on the right instead of the left. I'm just wondering what everyones opinion on my son's weight gain is and if the ped is going to make a remark that hes not gaining enough again.

Did you see a lactation consultant at all? Sounds like the dr. skipped right to formula for a slow gain instead of looking at your situation and assessing it. Most likely because the dr. doesn't know much about breastfeeding.

If the baby isn't weighed on the same scale and an accurate scale the weights are useless. How is your baby doing? Meeting milestones? Active and alert? Having good diaper counts? Those things are important when looking at the health of the baby and determining if there is a problem.

So how often are you supplementing and with how much? How often is baby breastfeeding at the breast and how long? Are you pumping as well, how often and for how long? What kind of pump?

ETA: did you start on birth control at all, maybe around the time you started supplementing? If you did, what kind of b/c is it?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 6, 2009 at 7:26 PM
Quoting Jaydenmommy09:

My ds was 5.11 1/2 at birth, he was 5.9 when I took him home 3 days later. His weight at 2 weeks was 6.7

That's one month's growth in two weeks.

at 1 month he was 8.5,

And nearly two months growth in the next two weeks.

at 2 months he was 8.12,

Thank goodness he slowed down! You do need to keep lifting him through most of the first year!

and at 3 months he was 11.7, and today I estimated weighed him at 11.12.8.

He's put on a LOT of weight in a small amount of time. Usual gain is one to one and a half pounds per month.

My question is his ped. told me to supplement formula at 2 months cuz she said he was under weight.

By what measure? he's double birth weight, which we want by six months. He's only THREE months old.

I'm worried when I take him in on the 15th of this month that she's going to say he's underweight again. I want to ebf him from now on, but still use formula.

You DO NOT need formula. He's gaining GORGEOUSLY and if he gained more he'd be obese.

You DO need a new doc. Yours is an idjit. Sorry.

I just started using the sns yesterday and he seems to be okay with it except he prefers to nurse on the right instead of the left. I'm just wondering what everyones opinion on my son's weight gain is and if the ped is going to make a remark that hes not gaining enough again.

His gain is HUGE. In fact, I knwo a ped who would wonder if he has gigantism because she'd tell you that much gain "is not normal." She'd be wrong too.

Relax. Find a new ped. Look for onlu one half to one and a half pounds gain per month.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN