Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Will he latch on now???

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 8:15 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hey ladies, i just joined the group, my name is Hope and just  wanted to say hello first.

So my question. I just had my son 1 week & 2 days ago. He was 39 weeks & 3 days, so he was term, but with lung issues still ended up in a NICU for this past week. Well he couldn't eat the first few days, so they had to sedate him, because he was obviously upset from being so hungry.

But then when he was finally breathing on his own and was able to eat, I had to pump and bottle feed because they had to monitor how much he was getting. Well thankfully he came home yesterday and now I can't get him to latch on. Is he just used to bottle nipple now? He will take my nipple in his mouth and will suck but only for a few seconds then he refuses it  and just gets fussy. I have tried a few times with him since yesterday. So do i just need to keep trying until he gets it? Or like i said, is he just gonna be used to a bottle nipple only now? As long as he is still getting breast milk that's all I'm really concerned with, but I'm worried, what if I can't keep up with him pumping only. So far it hasn't been an issue, i have some in the fridge, and also some frozen, but still....

So any advice will be GREATLY appreciated!

by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Daynaof3
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Yes, you keep trying! When things don't start out the way we hope or plan it can be difficult but nothing you can't get past with some determination. You can try doing a ton of skin to skin with your baby. You can also try offering the breast when he is sleepy but not too hungry, like in REM sleep. You can try rebirthing, where you take the baby into a warm bath and let him float a bit while you hold him, then place him on your chest and see what he does. Many babies will attempt to latch on themselves they way they do after birth if allowed to do skin to skin.  Pumping until you have a letdown(or just before if you can sense them coming) and then trying to feed him may help too. I think it is so wonderful that you are breastfeeding your baby while having to deal with some real difficulties! Good for you and your baby! =)

iluvteeth77
by Member on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:09 PM

My son couldn't latch in the hospital which ended up being because he was tongue tied. The nurse gave me a nipple shield. You can buy these at target, or walmart. They act as a nipple just sticking out further for the baby to latch. There are good and bad things about them. They can cause nipple confusion but if its the only thing that you can do to get them to latch you have to decide whats more important. If I were you I would research it a little so you have a better idea. My son was so confused.  He used the shield for the first 2 months and then I had to just pump and put it in the bottle but at 3 months he just latched for the first time ever without any nipple shield. So you can use them temporarily and then make that transition to just the nipple. Hope this helps.

Natedogsmommy
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Quoting Daynaof3:  You can try rebirthing, where you take the baby into a warm bath and let him float a bit while you hold him, then place him on your chest and see what he does. Many babies will attempt to latch on themselves they way they do after birth if allowed to do skin to skin. 

I would love to do this, I have never heard of it. But unfortunately I can't take baths right now because of all my stitches, and he can't until his belly button and circumcision are healed. By the time I could actually get myself up from the tub (soooooo sore right now. lol) I would like to try this, and see what happens. I don't know if it will be to late though, but I will try anyway.

I also noticed that if I have him up on my shoulder when he's wanting to eat, since I have wore tanktops the past 2 days he starts trying to suck on my shoulder, but as soon as I put him to the breast he's not intrested. So it's like he wants to, but then he doesn't. So who knows, like I said, I will keep trying everything I can and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice:)

Natedogsmommy
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Quoting iluvteeth77:

My son couldn't latch in the hospital which ended up being because he was tongue tied. The nurse gave me a nipple shield. You can buy these at target, or walmart. They act as a nipple just sticking out further for the baby to latch. There are good and bad things about them. They can cause nipple confusion but if its the only thing that you can do to get them to latch you have to decide whats more important. If I were you I would research it a little so you have a better idea. My son was so confused.  He used the shield for the first 2 months and then I had to just pump and put it in the bottle but at 3 months he just latched for the first time ever without any nipple shield. So you can use them temporarily and then make that transition to just the nipple. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I will look into them. They might be what I need anyway since I don't have large nipples maybe that could be causing a problem for him too. The bottle nipple is just easier for him to take or something, I don't know. So yeah, i will check them out.

Mommy2SirIzy
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 10:45 PM

When my son was born I had a very difficult time getting him to latch onto my right breast... the LC told me that I had a flat nipple. She told me to use something ice cold to draw out my nipple right before putting him to my breast. This helped and eventually my nipple was drawn out regularly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN