Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help with weaning

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2009 at 10:08 PM
  • 1 Replies

I am ready to start weaning my 6mo son because I will be going back to work full-time soon and I'm worried about not producing enough to pump. I had that problem a few months ago when  I was in school full-time. I want him to take formula  sometimes and still breastfeed at night and in the mornings. The problem is that he won't take the formula. He used to take it fine when I was having to supplement while I was at school but now he absolutely pitches a fit. My husband says if he gets hungry enough he will take it but I REFUSE to make him starve like that. Is there anything I can try to get him to take the formula? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

by on Sep. 10, 2009 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 11, 2009 at 1:42 AM
Quoting mommytobe9076:

I am ready to start weaning my 6mo son because I will be going back to work full-time soon and I'm worried about not producing enough to pump.

You only need one ounce oer hour. But also know it does NOT need to be all one or the other. Nursing when home and formula when you're not is OK.

I had that problem a few months ago when  I was in school full-time. I want him to take formula  sometimes and still breastfeed at night and in the mornings. The problem is that he won't take the formula. He used to take it fine when I was having to supplement while I was at school but now he absolutely pitches a fit. My husband says if he gets hungry enough he will take it but I REFUSE to make him starve like that.

Your husband is right.Baby WON'T starve. He may well just wait till you get home and that's perfectly all right. You'd turn cartwheels if he SLEPT ten horus straight, and no baby eats in his sleep!

And YOU miust stop trying to give the bottle. He's smart. Mom = breast. Leave the formula for someone ELSE to do. YOU cannot give it; it's merely an exercise in frustration.

Basic wisdom: Don't bother getting baby used to a bottle. It's a waste of your time.

Is there anything I can try to get him to take the formula? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

No, there really isn't except to not worry about it yourself and let the caregiver handle it. You only need one ounce per hour of separation of pumped milk, and that's really not hard to get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN