Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

my dd dont know the concept of sleep *please help*

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 7:29 AM
  • 25 Replies

ok i need some ideas that will help with getting my dd to sleep at night. i'll put her down between 7pm -8:30pm. and she will sleep for about 4 hours and wake to be fed again. then like clock work she is up every 2 hours. and i cant get her to go back to sleep or to stop crying unless i feed her. and depending on her mood she'll do this every hour through the night as well. she sleeps in the same room as me (we only have a 1 br. right now, moving in about a month) in her own crib. i just am not getting any sleep and i feel so useless to her and everyone else during the day. she will be 9 months on the 22nd, i've been sleep deprived for way to long! oh yeah and she dont nap long enough during the day for me to nap with her. she takes 1/2 hr naps through out the day. if anyone could help with some ideas i would be VERY thankfull!!

by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaliv
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 7:39 AM

anybody? please help!

SarahMerritt_22
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 7:41 AM

If they help you let me know! My dd does the same thing (she will be 9 months on the 27th) Maybe an age thing ... growth spurt... Teething...

NY_SUE
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 9:04 AM
At least you get 4 hours in the first stretch. My 15-month old son wakes up every 1-2 hours throughout the night...I haven't slept way too long as well. Have heard "No cry sleep solution" is good. Pick up a copy.
jandl616
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM

In the same boat.  I read the no-cry sleep solution and while the methods sound easy enough and no brainers.  It still didn't work.  He is still wanting to nurse very often at night.  My son is about to turn 1 next week and I am tired as well. The only thing I can think of is weaning him and I don't want to do that.  I have resorted to co-sleeping though so I can atleast not fall out of the chair.  But now my back hurts being curled around my son. I want sleep and my bed back lol

tayers
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM

I dont really have any advice but you might want to post this in the general forum and you would probably get more replies.  Have you thought about just bringing her to bed with you?  I dont do it but I know alot of moms who say its the only way the can ever get any rest.

mommaliv
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 3:39 PM

i have not tryed bringing her to bed with me, but in a way once i start that i dont want to have to break her of it later on. i will take the advice and post in the general forum though. thanks to all who replied!

grunt_wifey
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I have some advice but it only works if you are ok with a cio method.  What I did with my son who was about 10 months old was I would go in a soothe him when he went to bed/woke up for 5 min (and 5 mins ONLY) then I would leave the room (even if he is still crying) for 5 mins if he was still crying I would go in a soothe him for again 5 mins and then leave for 8ish mins (make it consistent, but time frame is up to you) if still crying do the same soothing and then leave for 10mins and leave it at 10 mins til they go to sleep.  Its going to be a rough couple of nights but give it a few nights and you wil notice a different.  There is a book that I got it from called Happy Baby.  Healthy Sleep Habits.  But I also read about 2 or 3 other books with it and made my own regimen.  Each baby is different and find something that works with your baby!!

As for being in the same room try and set up a divider (sheets or something) so that your LO wont see you at night. 

btribou2.gif picture by lilbrinny03

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 11, 2009 at 6:46 PM
Quoting mommaliv:

ok i need some ideas that will help with getting my dd to sleep at night. i'll put her down between 7pm -8:30pm. and she will sleep for about 4 hours and wake to be fed again.

She's sleeping a LONG stretch!

then like clock work she is up every 2 hours. and i cant get her to go back to sleep or to stop crying unless i feed her.

Normal.

and depending on her mood she'll do this every hour through the night as well. she sleeps in the same room as me (we only have a 1 br. right now, moving in about a month) in her own crib. i just am not getting any sleep and i feel so useless to her and everyone else during the day. she will be 9 months on the 22nd, i've been sleep deprived for way to long! oh yeah and she dont nap long enough during the day for me to nap with her. she takes 1/2 hr naps through out the day. if anyone could help with some ideas i would be VERY thankfull!!

Sadly, there's nothing you can really do to change her schedule. So sleep when she sleeps, as much as you can.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 11, 2009 at 6:52 PM
Quoting mommaliv:

i have not tryed bringing her to bed with me, but in a way once i start that i dont want to have to break her of it later on. i will take the advice and post in the general forum though. thanks to all who replied!

That's NOT something you need to "break" them of. They stop on their own...when THEY are ready. Just as they sleep more when THEY are ready. If you're getting a solid four hours you're doing well.

With infant sleep, what WE want ends up being pretty immaterial! **smile**

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 11, 2009 at 6:53 PM
Quoting jandl616:

In the same boat.  I read the no-cry sleep solution and while the methods sound easy enough and no brainers.  It still didn't work.  He is still wanting to nurse very often at night.  My son is about to turn 1 next week and I am tired as well. The only thing I can think of is weaning him and I don't want to do that.  I have resorted to co-sleeping though so I can atleast not fall out of the chair.  But now my back hurts being curled around my son. I want sleep and my bed back lol

Is dad there? He gets one wakeup per night. No, I don't care if he works. He gets one wakeup per night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)