Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

vax and breastfeeding

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 11:16 AM
  • 6 Replies

what can anyone tell me about if i get the flu vax and if it will pass to my 10m old. i don't want to have to give him the vax if i don't have to - we don't daycare or anything, so we could probably get away without it, but want to be safe.

by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Cynthje
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 11:21 AM

I don't do flu vaccinations for myself or my family. I had the flu last week (likely h1n1 but i declined to get tested) and i was advised to continue breastfeeding and pump for my toddler so that both kids would get the antibodies from me.

The only one that caught the flu from me was my husband, both kids are fine. It could be a coincidence but i believe that my milk protected them from getting it.

Mom71307
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I do not know if the vax ingredients are passed in breastmilk but I would certainly not want them to be!  I do not vax at all and if I did, flu would NOT be one that I would get.  Good hygeine practices are your best defense against the flu of any kind.   Being that you aren't doing daycare, you have less of a chance of getting any serious illnesses during cold/flu season. 

"And we know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." --Romans 8:28
natalies_mama
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 11:40 AM

i agree with you...  i read a post on here one day about a mom who's 3 yo was getting sick (& she was bf #2 at the time i think), so she gave him a sippy of breast milk that night, and by morning, his symptoms were gone.  amazing!

ETA- this was intended for the 1st poster!  sorry !!

masesmom
by Member on Sep. 11, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I got my flu shot yesterday, and doc said some immunity would pass to my babe.

my arm hurts:)

SoniaL
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I wouldn't bother w/ the flu vax for you or your baby.  I am 31 and have never had the flu shot & never had the flu either. just practice good hygeine, etc.

vances_mom
by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 12:51 PM
The same thing happend in our home about 5wks ago. DD was the only one that didn't get sick. We don't get the flu vaccine because I'm a sahm (the kids aren't in daycare) and we practice good hand washing hygine. The only time I've ever had the vaccine was when I was in the Navy and it was manditory. Just keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in your purse and you'll be fine :)
Quoting Cynthje:

I don't do flu vaccinations for myself or my family. I had the flu last week (likely h1n1 but i declined to get tested) and i was advised to continue breastfeeding and pump for my toddler so that both kids would get the antibodies from me.

The only one that caught the flu from me was my husband, both kids are fine. It could be a coincidence but i believe that my milk protected them from getting it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN