Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

nursing/pumping and saving money

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 3:36 PM
  • 10 Replies

ok i noticed in a post earlier this morning someone mentioned that with nursing/pumping, you are saving a lot of money that could be used for better things such as college. i thought i would just share what me and my husband do to also save money for piggy banks for my girls. when we go out to the store or get gas or whatever, we try to use cash as much as possible rather then using our debit card/credit card. heres why
1. you spend less when you use cash since usually you only tend to pull out what you think it will cost
2. the extra change (pocket change) that usually ends up in the bottom of our purses, i take it out once a week and split it up between the 2 piggy banks

i know its completely a random post but its a great way to continue to save money. and occasionally we will drop a dollar or two in each piggy bank as well. just doing the spare change and everyone sending xmas and bday money to my girls, my 2 yr old has about $3000 in her savings account. when she gets cash or checks inside of any card, its an automatic deposit into her bank account rather then getting her more toys that she wont play with or more clothes when shes got plenty. this way.. we wont have to spend so much with college or when she gets married.

by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
callie06
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 3:41 PM

we use cash too.  we only use our cards if it's an emergency.  i take out $200 a week for groceries and that is my limit i never go over it though.  we have a savings account for our ds but when he turns 18 that money is his and he doesn't have to use it for college since it's his and we can't make him so we have the college money in our account but we keep track of it separately.  but any gift money he receives goes to his account.  i rather buy his toys than waste his.

Candi1024
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I also use only cash and stick to a budget. I'm a big Dave Ramsey follower.

usmcgirl86
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 3:57 PM

who is dave ramsey?

Quoting Candi1024:

Candi1024
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Financial advisor sort of guy. He works with baby steps. First get a budget, and get caught up on past bills. Then save $1000 as an baby emergency fund. Then pay off debt, sticking closely to your budget and doing things like selling cars that you owe 20K on. The goal is to be out of debt within two years. Then save 6 months living expenses. Then start retirement, college savings, and paying off the house.

I'm on Baby step 2, paying off debts. The goal is to be "gazelle". Really going after the debts and paying them off as fast as you can.

If your interested, I belong to an awesome forum with some really smart people on it that have helped me on my way. He sells products and does seminars, but you could follow his methods without spending money with the help of the people on this forum.

http://www.livinglikenooneelse.com/forum/

Quoting usmcgirl86:

who is dave ramsey?

Quoting Candi1024:

scharette
by Member on Sep. 11, 2009 at 5:03 PM

We use cash for everything, rarely use bank accounts at all (don't trust them anymore) anyways, and we do the same thing.  My husband comes home from work and gives all his pocket change to our daughter to put in her piggy, and I do the same after going shopping. I guess now with our new little one we need to get another piggy!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

amybug08
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Quoting callie06:

we use cash too.  we only use our cards if it's an emergency.  i take out $200 a week for groceries and that is my limit i never go over it though.  we have a savings account for our ds but when he turns 18 that money is his and he doesn't have to use it for college since it's his and we can't make him so we have the college money in our account but we keep track of it separately.  but any gift money he receives goes to his account.  i rather buy his toys than waste his.

OMG!! $200 a WEEK!!! We only spend $200 a month on groceries, neccessities, paper products, diapers, etc.

I wouldn't know what to do with $200 a week... we could eat T-bones everynight! LOL

oahoah
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Last year we saved all our dollar bills & ended up with about $200 at the end of the year which we split up between our boys & put into their banks.  We tried to use cash as much as possible and whenever we had change we just saved the $1 and most of the loose change.  Going to try again to do it in 2010 because this year is nearly gone & we've dipped into our dollars too much!

callie06
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 9:47 PM

i don't know where you live but we don't eat t-bones.  I buy fresh stuff to make homemade meals i buy very little processed foods.  Also I don't spend more than $125 of that $200 for food and other stuff the rest of the money is emergency for the week or gas.  if it doesn't get used which it almost always doesn't it's less i have to take out for groceries.

Quoting amybug08:

Quoting callie06:

OMG!! $200 a WEEK!!! We only spend $200 a month on groceries, neccessities, paper products, diapers, etc.

I wouldn't know what to do with $200 a week... we could eat T-bones everynight! LOL

callie06
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 9:48 PM

My dh is also a big fan of Dave Ramsey.  He also likes Clark Howard.

Quoting Candi1024:

amybug08
by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM

That's what I do. If i bought processed foods our bill would be $600 a month, I make all of our bread, we use powdered milk (except for what DD drinks), we eat meatless meals about 2 -3 times a week. Pretty much everything we eat is homemade not store bought.

Quoting callie06:

i don't know where you live but we don't eat t-bones.  I buy fresh stuff to make homemade meals i buy very little processed foods.  Also I don't spend more than $125 of that $200 for food and other stuff the rest of the money is emergency for the week or gas.  if it doesn't get used which it almost always doesn't it's less i have to take out for groceries.

Quoting amybug08:

Quoting callie06:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)