Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

new to BF, several questions

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have a 4 week old daughter [who is quickly gaining weight snd completely healthy] and have a couple questions about bf, hope you ladies can help!

1. She has been super fussy in the evenings. The only thing that seems to satisfy her is eating every hour [or more often]. I know fussy evenings are common, but is it common for her to need to eat every hour? Any suggestions on how to make her happy during these fussy times?

2, When she wakes up to eat at night, she feeds for a short time [between 5-10 minutes] and then falls back asleep. If I try to wake her to feed her more, she gets fussy and refuses to eat more. Is it alright to let her sleep after the initial small meal? She usually goes 4 hours when she initially goes to sleep and then wakes every 2 hours after that.

3. Lately, she has gone from happily being held or lying down to screaming and fussy. Usually when she starts screaming, the only thing that makes her happy is to eat. Any ideas on why she doesn't give any other hunger cues?

[OT] 4. I am thinking about buying a swing to use during the day when I am home alone during the day. Any suggestions on swings that you found especially useful?

by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 13, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Quoting MammaReddy:

I have a 4 week old daughter [who is quickly gaining weight snd completely healthy] and have a couple questions about bf, hope you ladies can help!  I'll do my best! ; )

1. She has been super fussy in the evenings. The only thing that seems to satisfy her is eating every hour [or more often]. I know fussy evenings are common, but is it common for her to need to eat every hour? Any suggestions on how to make her happy during these fussy times?  This is called cluster feeding and it's COMPLETELY NORMAL.  My baby did this too.

2, When she wakes up to eat at night, she feeds for a short time [between 5-10 minutes] and then falls back asleep. If I try to wake her to feed her more, she gets fussy and refuses to eat more. Is it alright to let her sleep after the initial small meal?  YES. She usually goes 4 hours when she initially goes to sleep and then wakes every 2 hours after that.  You get 4 hours?  You are SO LUCKY!  I rarely got that until my baby was at least a year old.

3. Lately, she has gone from happily being held or lying down to screaming and fussy. Usually when she starts screaming, the only thing that makes her happy is to eat.  Normal Any ideas on why she doesn't give any other hunger cues?

[OT] 4. I am thinking about buying a swing to use during the day when I am home alone during the day. Any suggestions on swings that you found especially useful?  Be aware that not all babies enjoy a swing.  My oldest LOVED his so we got one for our youngest and he didn't like it.  Just find one that you like.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 13, 2009 at 7:51 PM
Quoting MammaReddy:

1. She has been super fussy in the evenings. The only thing that seems to satisfy her is eating every hour [or more often]. I know fussy evenings are common, but is it common for her to need to eat every hour? Any suggestions on how to make her happy during these fussy times?

100% normal. Keep doing EXACTLY what you're doing.

2, When she wakes up to eat at night, she feeds for a short time [between 5-10 minutes] and then falls back asleep. If I try to wake her to feed her more, she gets fussy and refuses to eat more. Is it alright to let her sleep after the initial small meal? She usually goes 4 hours when she initially goes to sleep and then wakes every 2 hours after that.

Yes. Let her sleep when she wants UNLESS you're not changing enough dipes.

3. Lately, she has gone from happily being held or lying down to screaming and fussy. Usually when she starts screaming, the only thing that makes her happy is to eat. Any ideas on why she doesn't give any other hunger cues?

Afraid not....but newborns are good at doing stuff that will make you crazy.

[OT] 4. I am thinking about buying a swing to use during the day when I am home alone during the day. Any suggestions on swings that you found especially useful?

We had a Graco. Honestly didn't use it a lot.

Jaydenmommy09
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I have a boppy travel swing and my baby loves it, its really soft and cradles them.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

EllenaMarie
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I am rather new to BF as well... My daughter is 2 weeks old and I am going thru the same thing. The Swing really helps, it allows me to do things during the day while she is sleeping. I have the Fisher price Natures Touch Cradle Swing. She enjoys the swing for the most part cause she likes constant movement. If she's not in the swing she is in my arms, usually feeding. LOL .. I have noticed that she also is becoming rather fussy at night. It's like if I am not feeding I am changing diapers. She's been really gassy and I just had to go out and get infant gas drops cause she would be in a dead sleep and then start bawling... it was really sad. I am hoping that will change things for tonight.... but I believe now we have our days and nights mixed up... which is ok as long as she is not feeling horrible. 

afliehman
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM

the baby hammock I heard works great.....  I will soon find out

It is not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you lived.
scharette
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I'm going through almost the exact same thing.  I read up about "fussy times" and all newborns have them and they are usually in the evening or night and then they will have their longest stretch of sleep after. But cluster feeding in my opinion at night is more of a comfort thing then a "I'm hungry" thing, but unfortunately there isn't much else you can do about it. Mine is on the breast usually every hour from about 5:00pm till about 11:00-12:00, then he will usually sleep a 4 hour stretch then 3 hour then 2 hour, but lately it's been every 2 hours! Mine is 5 weeks.  Good luck! Here is a good link for you, click here.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)