Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

PLEASE HELP!!

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2009 at 7:43 PM
  • 3 Replies

I get HORRIBLE migraines. I mean just awful ones. I need some migraine medicine because I just can't take it anymore!!!! I know I can't take exedrine but does anyone know of ANY migraine medicine that I CAN take???????????

Please help me!!! 

by on Sep. 15, 2009 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
kaufmt0220
by on Sep. 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM

my doctor prescribed me migraine meds when i was preggo...and typically if its safe while pregnant it is safe while nursing. i think it was called firocet?

goddess_alyson
by on Sep. 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I suffer from migraines too and am allergic to Immitrex so my OB also gave me fioricet, which works, but it also causes rebound headaches which caused me to take more meds.  Vicious cycle.  I started keeping a food diary and a headache diary and found that I got most of my headaches when I ate certain foods - processed foods (lunch meat or canned soups), peanut butter, certain cheeses (which I can't eat ANY cheese now due to LO dairy sensitivity), red meat sometimes gives me a migraine, etc.  I also started keeping track of how much tylenol I was taking, turned out I was taking ALOT of it.  That can cause headaches to, from withdrawl.    So if you'd like to not take any meds at all  this can help  I got this from www.kellymom.com:

Migraine: Natural Treatment

I've collected a few suggestions that are reported to be helpful for migraines:

Cayenne Pepper:

Taking cayenne inside the nose helps to open up the blood vessels. This enables the blood to get nutrients to all parts of the brain. Warning - this can burn a bit, so keep the grains of cayenne down to as few as possible.

To stop a migraine follow these simple steps:

• Open the capsule and dip the flat end of a dry toothpick into the cayenne to pick up 3-4 grains.
  • Block one nostril and gently put cayenne up the other nostril.
  • Sniff deeply 3-4 times until you feel the flecks of pepper in your throat. (If you don't feel this, do it again).
  • Once you feel the warmth in your throat, you headache should be gone in minutes

Other suggestions:

Taking 500 mg of magnesium per day and increasing your water intake to 8-10 glasses per day can be helpful. One person reported that her migraines were still coming at the time they usually did (during her cycle), but were much less intense and went away faster.

Another person resolved her migraine problem by eliminating ALL animal fat the week before menstruation (skim milk, non-fat yogurt ok), and adding evening primrose oil to her diet.

If you feel that you need migraine meds, keep in mind that a number of migraine meds are considered compatible with breastfeeding, including Sumatriptan (Imitrex).

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 15, 2009 at 10:33 PM

If the excedrin DOESN'T have aspirin it's safe.

Imitrex is also safe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN