Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

back to work...NEDDS ADVICE!!!!!

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 9:33 AM
  • 21 Replies

i came home yesterday and my breasts werent very full. i dont have time to pump at work, so was wondering what to do, i don't want to stop bf because it's just so much easier, but now that i'm working, i dont know what to do

by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LKRA
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2009 at 9:41 AM

You need to make time at work to pump. Pump each time you would nurse the baby; I pump every 3 hours or so. That keeps your body in rhythm, so your supply does not adjust in a negative way. If there's no baby (or pump) there to tell the breasts to create milk, they won't.

Cynthje
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 10:04 AM

I'm assuming that you do get breaks at work?  You could use those to pump even if that means that you have to pump in the car!

imamami05
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 10:12 AM

yes, this is true. BUT: i only get one lunch break so i would only get to pump once a day.I'm stressing out over this...i don't know what else to do!!

Cynthje
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Once a day is not ideal but its better than no pumping during the day! I usually pump in the morning before i go to work and twice at work. I also pump after she is asleep in the evening, most people are not succesfull pumping in the evening but i always manage to get at least 2 oz out so its worth it to me!

On some days i only manage to pump once a day because of meetings and the one pumping session does prevent me from becomming horribly engorged and coming home with hard painfull breasts.

Quoting imamami05:

yes, this is true. BUT: i only get one lunch break so i would only get to pump once a day.I'm stressing out over this...i don't know what else to do!!

LKRA
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Okay, here's what you do: pump first thing in the morning, before you go to work. You'll get the most then. Pump at lunch, then nurse as soon as you get home. How old is your baby?

Don't worry if your breasts don't feel "full"; that's not an indication of anything.

Quoting imamami05:

ArmyMom2oneboy
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 10:33 AM

What state do you live in and how many people does your company employ. Some states (mine included) have laws mandating that the company give a nursing woman seperate breaks to pump as well as a room other than a bathroom in which to pump.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Missbehaves
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 10:36 AM

You really should try to pump at least once while you're at work.  You just have to find a way to make it happen.  I work 12-14 hour shifts and I pump twice.  Sometimes I only get one session in, but I will pump again right before I leave because otherwise we won't have enough milk to get through the time I'm at work.  I always feed her right before I leave and right when I get home.  I know it's hard, but your baby has to eat, right?   

imamami05
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 10:53 AM

right, and thats the thing.... he only had 2 ounces to eat for today, thats all i could get last night after he went to bed, i did feed him this morning before i left, but i feel like i'm starving him  :'(

imamami05
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 11:58 AM

he's 4 months old. i was pumping while i was on the phone and got 4 ounces!!!  :D    lets hope i can do it again later!!

Missbehaves
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 12:03 PM

If you can pump while working, that's awesome!  I wish I still had an office!  :(  LOL  You can try and get one of those pumping bands or make one yourself - here's a few ideas I quickly googled.  I have a MadebyMoms one, but I now see there are a lot 'cooler' options.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/hands-free-pumping.html

http://www.pumpease.com/buy/pumpease-regular?gclid=CL2dsZHA9pwCFQTyDAodLkdjbw

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)