Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Inverted Nipples?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 12:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

So when I had my daughter almost 3 years ago, I tried breastfeeding. She was a little under 6 lbs and I was very engorged. However, they told me I had inverted nipples and would need to use a nipple shield for awhile until she got bigger. But even after 2 1/2 months I was still using the shield and she was not very cooperative and it was MESSY.

I am due in March and really want to BF and have it work this time. Anyone have any suggestions?  I mean as it is, my nipples hardly ever get hard and when they do it is nothing to brag about. So besides a nipple shield, any ideas?

by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Brittney_OREGON
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 12:04 PM

maybe before nursing pump a little to pull them out??? itd take some time but might work..

Kristinmomof2
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 12:07 PM

My right breast had an inverted nipple before I started breastfeeding. I pumped before I had my daughter and then after. I pumped for literally maybe a week after she was born and my nipple came and stayed out. I was then able to nurse her and never used a shield. If anything pump a few minutes before you nurse to pull out your nipple a bit and then latch baby on. :) Good luck sweetie!! 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 16, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Get breast SHELLS and start wearing them now.

No shields. They're only really useful when mom needs to have a wound protected.

ZoasMama
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 12:10 PM

What is a "shell" , what do they do, and where would I find them? I never thought about pumping a little before hand! Thanks moms, can anyone recommend a good brand of pump?

Brittney_OREGON
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 1:42 PM

for me personally i love the medela pump in style... its spendy but was way worth it to me.... some moms on here have also reccomended the ameda...

Quoting ZoasMama:

What is a "shell" , what do they do, and where would I find them? I never thought about pumping a little before hand! Thanks moms, can anyone recommend a good brand of pump?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM
Quoting ZoasMama:

Shells are worn when you['re not nursing, and during pregnancy. They draw out the nipple. Find 'em in the baby aisle.

Kristinmomof2
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Honestly I used one of the cheap pumps from walmart. I wasn't really using it to pump, I just wanted it mainly to draw the nipple out. Worked perfectly. 

hm397
by on Jun. 17, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I used a shield for inverted nipples too. I knew I didn't want to keep using it so I went to an LC when DD was 2 weeks old. Since my milk was in andI  had been bfing for a little while, my nipples were no longer inverted. The LC helped me wean DD off the shield. It only took about a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)