Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

LOW PRODUCTION

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:35 AM
  • 8 Replies

PLEASE HELP- I AM A MOTHER OF TWO! I BF'D MY FIRST DAUGHTER FOR 7 MONTHS BUT I WAS ALSO SUPPLEMENTING WITH FORMULA SOMETIMES- I JUST DIDNT DISCIPLINE MYSELF ENOUGH TO PUMP AS I SHOULD HAVE!     BUT I WAS BOUND AND DETERMINED THAT WHEN I HAD MY SECOND DAUGHTER (WHO IS NOW 3 MONTHS) THAT I WAS GONNA DO EVERYTHING I COULD TO EBF. BUT NOW IT SEEMS THAT I CANT PUMP AS MUCH AND HAVE HAD TO START IN THE PAST TWO DAYS SENDING SOME FORMULA TO DAYCARE! AHHAHHGGHAHAH!!!! I WANT TO KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO INCREASE MY SUPPLY?ANY SUGGESTIONS?

by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
beachbride
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and try eating oatmeal. I don't like the texture of oatmeal, so I eat oatmeal cookies (about 5 a day for snacks) and it still helps. There are things you can take, but I would try increasing your production naturally first. Also pump more often if you can. The more you tell your body to make milk, the more it will make. Good Luck.

ArmyMom2oneboy
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:59 AM

A good friend of mine was just having this same issue. I recommended she take a photo of her baby to work, and when she goes to pump she (and you) needs to be as relaxed as possible, look at the photo of baby and tell yourself what a great thing you are doing for your baby. As the PP said, pump often, stay well hydrated and try oatmeal. You can also use Fenugreek and Mother's Milk Tea (some people do not like the taste, but I happen to love it!). Good luck Momma, you can do it!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
JenStein
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 9:03 AM

If your daughter goes through a growth spurt, it can be hard to keep up (if you have to work) because the baby sucks more when they're growing so they tell your body to make more, so if you're working, the pump can't do that. Try breastfeeding very often when you're together. Even if you know she probably isn't hungry, try offering it often like maybe every hour, regardless of whether she's hungry or not, she likely will still suck because our babies love to suck! That will help tell your body to keep making more milk. I'm not sure what your job is, but if possible, you need to find a way to pump often. I can't pump very often at work so it's frustrating, but I try to every chance I get. I get a few breaks so I try to pump during those breaks for at least a few minutes. Something that helps is to have the pump all assembled in the bag so that all I have to do is pull it out and plug it in. Having to assemble it is time consuming! You can look up on google things you can take to help increase your milk supply, but i'm not sure those things help a TON. They may help a little, I've never experimented with that!

monkey84
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 9:14 AM

I just had your problem last week!! But I was able to build my supply up in 4 days!! So this is what I do and I swear by it. I pump ALL the time. I only get about an 1/2oz-2oz per pump. I save it all! I eat a packet of instant oatmeal everyday. And I feed my daughter on demand.. I know thats hard for you because you work but what they enforced is do not give formula. If you are able to get out a few ounces of milk you will be providing enough milk for your LO. She only needs about 2-3oz at this age. I know that sounds small and they might act like there hungry after they eat but just like all of us you have to let them digest the milk first. People overfeed their children. I give my LO max of 3 oz per feeding and I feed her every 2-3 hours. Just pump before everyfeeding and after everyfeeding and add an extra feeding at night. You will et your milk supply back up. DONT GIVE UP!!

AJINFINGER
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 9:17 AM

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON MANUAL BREAST PUMPS VS ELECTRIC ONES? I AM USING A MANUAL ONE- WILL I GET MORE IF I GET AN ELECTRIC ONE?

JenStein
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Yes. most definitely, plus then you don't have to sit there wearing out your arm!

Quoting AJINFINGER:

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON MANUAL BREAST PUMPS VS ELECTRIC ONES? I AM USING A MANUAL ONE- WILL I GET MORE IF I GET AN ELECTRIC ONE?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 17, 2009 at 12:00 PM
Quoting AJINFINGER:

PLEASE HELP- I AM A MOTHER OF TWO! I BF'D MY FIRST DAUGHTER FOR 7 MONTHS BUT I WAS ALSO SUPPLEMENTING WITH FORMULA SOMETIMES- I JUST DIDNT DISCIPLINE MYSELF ENOUGH TO PUMP AS I SHOULD HAVE!  

What's done is done. Forget it.

BUT I WAS BOUND AND DETERMINED THAT WHEN I HAD MY SECOND DAUGHTER (WHO IS NOW 3 MONTHS) THAT I WAS GONNA DO EVERYTHING I COULD TO EBF. BUT NOW IT SEEMS THAT I CANT PUMP AS MUCH

Define "as much." Normal output is one half ounce to two ounces. A feeding is only about two to three ounces and baby needs one ounce per hour of separation.

AND HAVE HAD TO START IN THE PAST TWO DAYS SENDING SOME FORMULA TO DAYCARE! AHHAHHGGHAHAH!!!! I WANT TO KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO INCREASE MY SUPPLY?ANY SUGGESTIONS?

See the increasing supply sticky on this forum. Bet you don't need to do a thing but shift your paradigm.

And please? All caps is shouting and is hard to read. lease use upper/lower.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 17, 2009 at 12:01 PM
Quoting AJINFINGER:

If you are working you MUST have a double electric. Medela Pump In Style, Ameda Purely Yours or Lansinoh. NO gerber, First Years or Evenflo.

Again...one half ounce to two ounces a session is normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN