Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is it me or the pump? (kinda long, sorry)

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 9:15 PM
  • 9 Replies

A little bit of history...

A few weeks after my son was born I had to return to my college classes. I was pumping about 3-4 times during the 6-8 hours I was gone so that my SIL could feed him. I was getting about 4-6oz each time I pumped. Then due to my externship I was only able to pump once MAYBE twice a day and I was still getting about 6oz each time. His appetite increased so my SIL was also having to supplement formula. I graduated in June and decided to stay home with him for a little while to catch up on the time missed. I never really produced enough extra to pump but I did BF exclusively.

Now, I may have to go back to work and he will not take formula. So I want to pump when I can so he will still have some milk for when I am gone.

The problem is that even when I'm full, I'm never able to pump much at all. I've tried first thing in the morning when milk supply is higher but I don't get much. My breast can be hard and lumpy (that's how I know it's full) but it doesn't make a difference. I'm lucky if I get 1/2oz at a time. I know I've read that you only need to pump 1oz for every hour you're gone but when I get back to work (in a medical office) I will probably not be able to pump but once during my lunch break.

What I need to know is it a problem with me or is there something wrong with my pump. I never had that problem before. It does kinda feel like the suction isn't as strong as it once was but I figured I may have just gotten used to it. I don't want to not be able to pump enough for him and I don't want to stop BF completely. I really don't know what the problem is... any ideas and advice is greatly appreciated.

by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Daynaof3
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Come up with a pumping schedule and stick to it, you will see an increase over time in what you get. Your body isn't used to the demand for more milk, so give yourself some time. Try pumping while you nurse in the morning, you will most likely see better results. The amount you are getting is normal, anything from .5-2 ounces from both breasts total is normal pumping output. What kind of pump is it?

As far as pumping when you go back to work, talk to them about it before you start working again to find out. Being in the medical field I am sure they will know that moms that breastfeed miss less work since their children are sick less often, and that breastfeeding has important benefits to your baby and your health both short and long term. Hopefully they will be very understanding and possible allow you to take time out to pump. Good luck!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 17, 2009 at 11:14 PM
Quoting mommytobe9076:

A little bit of history...

A few weeks after my son was born I had to return to my college classes. I was pumping about 3-4 times during the 6-8 hours I was gone so that my SIL could feed him. I was getting about 4-6oz each time I pumped.

That was an unusuallly large amount. Normal output is one half ounce to two ounces.

Then due to my externship I was only able to pump once MAYBE twice a day and I was still getting about 6oz each time.

Still a HUMONGOUS amount. Baby needs one ounce per hour of separation.

His appetite increased so my SIL was also having to supplement formula. I graduated in June and decided to stay home with him for a little while to catch up on the time missed. I never really produced enough extra to pump but I did BF exclusively.

OK.

Now, I may have to go back to work and he will not take formula. So I want to pump when I can so he will still have some milk for when I am gone.

The problem is that even when I'm full, I'm never able to pump much at all. I've tried first thing in the morning when milk supply is higher but I don't get much. My breast can be hard and lumpy (that's how I know it's full) but it doesn't make a difference. I'm lucky if I get 1/2oz at a time. I know I've read that you only need to pump 1oz for every hour you're gone but when I get back to work (in a medical office) I will probably not be able to pump but once during my lunch break.

What I need to know is it a problem with me or is there something wrong with my pump.

VERY likely the pump. Which one?

I never had that problem before. It does kinda feel like the suction isn't as strong as it once was but I figured I may have just gotten used to it. I don't want to not be able to pump enough for him and I don't want to stop BF completely. I really don't know what the problem is... any ideas and advice is greatly appreciated.

Need to know which pump. VERY VERY likely it is the pump.

mommytobe9076
by on Sep. 18, 2009 at 3:47 PM

The pump that I have is an Evenflo Comfort Select Performance.

Daynaof3
by on Sep. 18, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Quoting mommytobe9076:

I am willing to be my right arm it's that horrible pump. Evenflo is terrible, is it possible for you to get another pump?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 18, 2009 at 4:08 PM
Quoting mommytobe9076:

Oh. Yeah. It's the pump. The Evenflo is known as the Evilflo for good reason. Check out our "Read Me Before You Buy A Pump" Sticky.

mommytobe9076
by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Quoting Daynaof3:

Quoting mommytobe9076:

I am willing to be my right arm it's that horrible pump. Evenflo is terrible, is it possible for you to get another pump?

I can't really afford a new one right now. I had to get that one because it was the cheapest.

Amanda3983
by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 2:45 AM

If it were me I would try and find one that is second hand or try and get a rental.  I know that getting one that has been used before sounds bad but the truth is most of them have replacement parts for all the pieces that actually touch your body or milk.  That way you can get a pump and by the parts that are probably cheaper.  I have the Ameda Purely Yours and really like it.  It is cheaper than the Medela Pump in Style but very comparable according to the consumer reports.  I had an evenflo before I bought mine and those things are horrible.  You might as well just use a manual pump than put up with that thing. Mine always backed up and then I would end up spilling the milk trying to stop it from happening when the bottle was only a quarter full.   Good Luck to you.  Congrats on your child and you seem like you are doing well.

Amanda

allison713
by Member on Mar. 26, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Quoting mommytobe9076:

I have that  same problem and w that same pump plus the handle is cracked. this morning i say hey let me try i haven't pump in a while n my chest  are full bc baby sleep stra8 thur last night. it took me 30 mins and i had  only 1 1/2 oz but let my chest was still full. so i just got my daughter feed her bc i hate  to feel heavy. so  i was going to go to target and get the  1st yrs mipump its single  for $60 or walmart has same brand but double  4 $70 which i should be saving since i haven't start working yet but i fig i should in vest just in case some 1 call me for a job.

tyheamma
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM

If you are having that much trouble and can't buy another pump, I'd highly recommend hand expression. I have found that for me, it's sometimes more effective.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)