Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Goat's milk for an 11 month old?

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter will be 11 months old in a few weeks, and I've been thinking. My pumping output is not what it used to be; I'm averaging about 8-12 ounces a day, and Tater has about 12-16 ounces of breastmilk a day while I'm at work. I'm still drinking my water, taking my Fenugreek and eating my oatmeal, but I've dipped into my freezer stash so much, I've only got about 10 ounces left.

I am going to stop pumping when she turns a year old, so here's the question: is there any harm in giving her 1/2 breastmilk and 1/2 goat's milk during the day BEFORE she turns a year old? Or is her stomach not ready for that yet?

by on Sep. 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mena929
by on Sep. 18, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I started introducing cow's milk to both of my kids when they were 11 - 11 1/2 months old.

marynash88
by Member on Sep. 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM

It is ok to mix goats milk in her BM if you cant pump anymore. I would reccomend that you do goats milk before cows milk if your DD/DS were exclusively BF(goats is closer to the same structure as human milk).

Kristin216
by on Sep. 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Not to my approval, but my sil plans to use goats milk based formula that she is going to make aftr she is done breastfeeding at 3 months. I don't why she is stopping, but that is her plan.

mrsflorea
by on Sep. 18, 2009 at 3:36 PM

My father (born in 1955) was not breastfed, but he was allergic to cow's milk and soy milk until he was a toddler. He lived on goat's milk until then, and was totally fine. He grew just fine, and is the tallest out of the four kids - 6'2" and built like a brick sh*thouse! Good luck!

LKRA
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies, ladies, but is it okay to give it to her before she turns a year old????

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 18, 2009 at 4:59 PM
Quoting LKRA:

Thanks for all the replies, ladies, but is it okay to give it to her before she turns a year old????

As a mixture? Yes. It's not the same as cow's milk.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 18, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Quoting LKRA:

My daughter will be 11 months old in a few weeks, and I've been thinking. My pumping output is not what it used to be; I'm averaging about 8-12 ounces a daywow thats a great amount, and Tater has about 12-16 ounces of breastmilk a day while I'm at workwow ummm how long do you work??. I'm still drinking my water, taking my Fenugreek and eating my oatmeal, but I've dipped into my freezer stash so much, I've only got about 10 ounces left.no need to do that at her age...send what you can pump and she'll be fine, maybe up her solids a bit at daycare

I am going to stop pumping when she turns a year old, so here's the question: is there any harm in giving her 1/2 breastmilk and 1/2 goat's milk during the day BEFORE she turns a year old?well it wouldn't hurt I guess but I wouldn't, it tastes NASTY..and I wouldn't mix it Or is her stomach not ready for that yet?

I would give what I could pump and work on reverse cycling, you have to remember that its about daily total of BM not each feeding...as she gets to 12 months BM becomes more of a nutritional drink..insanely nutritional, rather than food..this is a good time to move more towards that...have them feed her solids like any other child and give your pumped milk as a drink.  Go to sippy cups if you haven't already.  Treat nursing as you always do when its nursing but treat BM when away as a drink...at her age she can nurse 4-5 times a day and get enough milk...

NO mixing the BM and goats milk...personally I'd use rice milk over goats milk but thats me...but either way no mixing...send what you can pump a if need be a few ounces of whatever else in another sippy

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 18, 2009 at 5:28 PM

You know, thinking more about it...tabi gave a better answer.

At this point, you can up the solids while at day care and use water as well as breastmilk for hydration.

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Sep. 18, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I started offering goats milk in a cup at 11mos. It's not like cows milk. While your gone, just have her eat her solids, with some goats milk in a cup. Goat milk will still have a lot more nutrition than doing water, juice, cow milk, etc. So if you're outta breast milk, yes, that's your best option.

Mom             Dad         Chazz (7y)   Rocco (4y)    Joey (1y)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who still loves her  tattoos, piercings, makeup and hairdye.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 18, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

You know, thinking more about it...tabi gave a better answer.

At this point, you can up the solids while at day care and use water as well as breastmilk for hydration.

well thank you :-)

,LKRA think about it this way when you wean from the pump she will be getting a milk of some kind(cows goats etc) right?  Well she won't need 12-16 oz of that while at daycare, in fact the MAX amount is 24 oz a day of cows milk..and getting 16 oz of it just while at daycare is a bit overboard.  Its ok for direct nursing to be the MAIN source of nutrition at this age for sure...even the only source BUT if planning to daytime wean while working you need to work at weaning her from drinking her nutrition at daycare, kwim?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)