Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Large nipples making it impossible to get a good latch. Please help I'm at the end of my rope. *update in reply*

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2009 at 11:27 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

ok hi. My daughter is 5 weeks. I have really large nipples...I can't get a good latch on the right side, which is larger than the left. I have been to see a LC every week since she was born and 3 different LC's have said that I HAVE a good latch and the reason it's uncomfortable on that side is because my nipple just needs to heal, but it's not GOING to heal because it's NOT a good latch. I know it's not. new cracks come up, blisters,..whatever. They are all on the tip of the nipple. I am doing the whole sandwich the boob thing and pointing the nipple towards the top of her mouth blah blah it doesn't work. I don't want to use a nipple shield, I've already had problems with my supply. Is there any hope that I will EVER be able to nurse her without pain? She does have a pretty small mouth. I really frustrated and I'm about to give up. Someone PLEASE help me.

I'm a SAHM to Isaiah born 9/27/07 and Lilliah born 8/17/09!, wife to Christopher, VBAC advocate, PRO natural birth, baby wearing, cloth diapering,  breastfeeding Mama!
by on Sep. 19, 2009 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajswenson
by on Sep. 19, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I too have big nipples, lucky us! Anyway, just keep at it.  If I remember right at around 2 months we "fit" each other and all was good.  I did NOT crack or get blisters so I could be totally wrong, but it sure hurt - like white knuckle when she latched on, wanted to cry hurt.  My LC told me she was latched on right too, but wow did that hurt.  Is there any way you can express some milk from the one side while she nurses on the other? to help with supply issues?  I know it hurt even worse on a pump for me when they were sore....oh wait, I forgot, I got these things called nummies??? they went on my nipples while I wasn't nursing to cool and heal them.  I got them from the LC but she said they do sell them at the drugstore.  I think I'm wrong about the name, sorry.  They are a gel like bandaid that is able to be reused.  Very soothing.  Sorry, not a whole lot of help but I am glad to know there are other big nipple mamma's out there beside me! LOL  Good luck.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 20, 2009 at 1:13 AM

The previous responder hit it right out of the ballpark for you.

The best cure, unfortunately, is TIME.

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2009 at 1:28 AM

Have they checked the baby to see if she is tongue tied? I have been told that makes it hard to get a good latch even thought it looks like it is a good one! you might ask an LC or your pediatrician about it. If that is the problem it is a simple procedure to fix it.

If that is not it then Im sure you have tried it already this but I would just try a few different nursing positions and which ever hurts the least stick with it until the baby is a little bigger.

also while your healing make sure to dry the nipple well before you put you bra back up and  you can get some nipple cream for pain.

Also you can try a local LL group! just go to their website and find a group leader in your area. they might have some more help as well. LLL WEBSITE

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2009 at 1:42 AM

Soothies! They carry them at Walmart and Target. It says Soothies in big print across the front in Purple. Gerber makes some that are similar that can go in the microwave or the freezer. Very soothing.

Quoting ajswenson:

I too have big nipples, lucky us! Anyway, just keep at it.  If I remember right at around 2 months we "fit" each other and all was good.  I did NOT crack or get blisters so I could be totally wrong, but it sure hurt - like white knuckle when she latched on, wanted to cry hurt.  My LC told me she was latched on right too, but wow did that hurt.  Is there any way you can express some milk from the one side while she nurses on the other? to help with supply issues?  I know it hurt even worse on a pump for me when they were sore....oh wait, I forgot, I got these things called nummies??? they went on my nipples while I wasn't nursing to cool and heal them.  I got them from the LC but she said they do sell them at the drugstore.  I think I'm wrong about the name, sorry.  They are a gel like bandaid that is able to be reused.  Very soothing.  Sorry, not a whole lot of help but I am glad to know there are other big nipple mamma's out there beside me! LOL  Good luck.

HUSKER BABIES

*Jayden*     *Jackson*     *Mia*

beckerdev
by on Sep. 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I had the EXACT same issue with my now 4 month old and yes, time is the answer. She seemed to barely get anything, I was cracked and blistered (oh and I can't nurse on the left due to a very flat nipple as well) but at somewhere around 2-3 months she really seemed to get it. The LC I saw also told me that it would get better as she got older, hang in there! I used nipple cream and just slathered the heck out of them, ALL the time, don't let them dry out. If you want to talk more, send me a msg. Good luck!

Isaiahsmom92707
by on Sep. 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Thank you guys for your responces. I guess I just have to wait until she's bigger,...who knows how long that will be. Patience is not one of my greatest virtues. To make things worse, I decided to try a shield and maybe I'd just use it in the evenings when she cluster feeds and it's really painful,...tried to put it on and my freakishly large nipple is too friggin big. It's a Medela, does anyone know of a brand that makes one larger? The Medela only goes up to 27mm and I think I need 30, that's what I use for my flanges anyways.ok well thanks again you guys.

I'm a SAHM to Isaiah born 9/27/07 and Lilliah born 8/17/09!, wife to Christopher, VBAC advocate, PRO natural birth, baby wearing, cloth diapering,  breastfeeding Mama!
beckerdev
by on Sep. 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I was told by my LC that they don't MAKE them big enough for me, that they stop at a certain mm and it just isn't big enough, that may have been the same with you. I had to use a 30 mm flange for the pump and nipple shields don't go up that high!

Wantz
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Have yoy tried using a nipple shield?

alexareh
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM

another way to help help your nipple pain is to cut a pad into 3  poor witch hazel on the pad then freeze it and you can use those its cheaper. I also used those but without cutting them on my whooha after birth =] hope it gets better for you

mamalusbear
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I pumped until my son was about six weeks old, then he was able to get a good latch and BF on his own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)