Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Mastitis Q's

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2009 at 5:50 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi ladies,

My 5 1/2 week son started sleeping through the night and now I have mastitis.  I am curious if someone can help me out.  I got Mastitis on Saturday and promptly got a perscription for some antibotics.  The fever and aches have gone away but my breast still hurts really bad and nursing is still painful as well.  It also feels like the milk duct is still clogged.  I have been using heat, massage and have been offering that side first whenever possible but it doesn't seem to be helping.  My son is only hungry every 3 hours and refuses to eat before (unless its before bed time he clusters like crazy!). I am curious if you think I should be pumping throughout the day and night too.  I am worried that after this is over i will be over producing in that breast and cause this to start all over again.  

How long should the ducts feel clogged and the pain last?

Thanks for your help,

Erin

by on Sep. 21, 2009 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 21, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Pump when he's not nursing. The pain will last as long as you still have the clog.

THere's some great info on kellymom.com on supplements to fight clogs.

erinj
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Pump when he's not nursing. The pain will last as long as you still have the clog.

THere's some great info on kellymom.com on supplements to fight clogs.

thanks i will check out the supplements. i am starting to feel a little better. crossing my fingers this is all over soon!

gifford4ofus
by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 10:19 AM

You can try putting warm tea bags on your breast or cabbage leaves. 

xlove_notes_inc
by on Sep. 24, 2009 at 11:54 PM

i got mastitis this week too =[
i'm a new mom and exclusively pumping b/c my baby is still in the NICU and i have questions about it too....

when i pump, the milk from the breast with mastitis is yellow tinted... is that normal?  is it safe to give that to my son? should I just dump the milk from that side?

when i'm done pumping, there's this thick, i guess "glob" ((I don't know how else to describe it)) and i don't know what it is....??

CafeMom Tickers

Photobucket

mandyliz
by on Sep. 28, 2009 at 2:56 PM

This sounds normal to me. As your milk changes from the colostrum to the milk it will be yellow tinted and still a bit thick. Later it will be watery and white. The glob might still be some colostrum I think. As far as mastitis, I had it too. It takes the anti-biotics about 3 or 4 days to start making you feel better and you may still have breast tenderness until the medicine is gone.

Quoting xlove_notes_inc:

i got mastitis this week too =[
i'm a new mom and exclusively pumping b/c my baby is still in the NICU and i have questions about it too....

when i pump, the milk from the breast with mastitis is yellow tinted... is that normal?  is it safe to give that to my son? should I just dump the milk from that side?

when i'm done pumping, there's this thick, i guess "glob" ((I don't know how else to describe it)) and i don't know what it is....??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN