Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Bipolar and planning to breastfeed

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have bipolar disorder. with my first son i was told i had to go back on Abiilif after i had him and that i would not be able to nurse.. I was stupid and didnt do my resaerch... but Abilify had bad side affexts for me and i ended up goin off it when he was 3 months old.. I havent been on anything but i think i may need something cuz i have been feeling manic (even before pregnancy but we were ttc so i was off meds) I am due next month.. and i will nurse no matter what but i was wondering waht meds (if any) are OK to take for bipolar while nursing.. thanks

by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
dhrmcanulty
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 2:41 AM

I am bipolar as well and exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old. I was also on abilify and no it isnt safe for breastfeeding. To my knowledge, no bipolar med is safe while nursing. I am starting to have some issues now but I am in the process of starting some herbal things to help. Talk with a lactation consultant about what herbal things may help you.

I am very proud to say I'm doing MUCH better than any doctor said I would and I know I am doing whts right for my son. It's not always easy but when things get hard I can find happiness in knowing my son will be better in the long run for it. And if it gets so bad you have no choice but to get back on meds, atleast you can say you tried and did the best you could do! Don't let anyone get you down or tell you that you can't do it! Atleast give yourself a chance! I made it 4 months and I hope to go as long as he will, long as I'm doing okay! If you need anything please feel free to PM me!

*I'm 20 yrs old, Proud Army Wife to SPC Andrew D. McAnulty and A Stay at home mommy to Reagan(11/9/07) & Asher (5/26/09) Married for 3 years. I am a natural birthing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, baby wearing, co-sleeping, extended rear facing, mama! I do what I do because it's what's best for MY family. Respect my opinion and I'll respect yours*

"Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are." --Augustine

"Midwives see birth as a miracle and only mess with it if there's a problem; doctors see birth as a problem and if they don't mess with it, it's a miracle!" --Barbara Harper

SunshneDaydream
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Okay, I know absolutely nothing about bipolar disease, but I am a firm believer that breastfeeding is as good for your mental health as it is for your and your baby's physical health.  The surge of endorphins that your brain releases during breastfeeding can work wonders for stabilizing your emotions, not to mention the overall confidence and sense of well-being you get for being such a strong mama and doing the best by your child.  I agree with the PP also about looking into herbal and holisic approaches to dealing with your disorder, but make sure you tell whomever you're getting advice from that you're nursing, because just because something is natural doesn't neccssarily mean it's safe for breastfeeding.  One other thin to look into: Yoga.  It's magical.  It's also just as good for your mental health as it is for your physical health.  You'll be surprised how calm and balanced you feel when yu do yoga on a regular basis.  Again, I know nothing about bipolar disease and I'm sorry if this is totally ignorant and seems to be downplaying the disease, but I really put a lot of stock into yoga and holistic medicine for dealing with ANY ailment, whether physical or mental.  Good luck mama! 

pretty_mama0724
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 6:43 AM

I am bipolar as well, and am breastfeeding my one month old. My OBGYN is actually the one that suggested I start taking Zoloft, an anti depressant, and Lamictil, a mood stabilizer, to help me. She said those were the best for breast feeding. I don't know if this helps at all... but I understand what you are going through.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 20, 2011 at 8:17 AM
Hugs momma I will do some research and find the info you need, im at work but when I can I will find the info
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)