Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IS THIS A SIGN IM NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A MOM?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 1:07 AM
  • 14 Replies

HE LATCHED ON WONDERFULL AT THE HOSPITAL, HARDLY NEEDED HELP FROM THE NURSES EXCEPT OF COURSE THE FIRST DAY BUT NOW FIRST NIGHT HOME AND HES WONT LATCH FOR ANYTHING..

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? I CANT FIGURE IT OUT..

HES GETTING EVERYTHING BUT THE SUCKING PART..

HES LATCHING ON AND THEN CHANGES HIS MIND MID SUCK AND THEN THROWS A FIT.

CAN ANY ONE..SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE THROWING MYSELF OUT THE WINDOW

by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 1:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cmyfantasyworld
by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Just keep trying. If you get aggravated give him to your dh and walk away for a bit. 

My son screamed bloody murder for the first three days and it took us 5 weeks to get nursing going well. 

Sassie113

You're probably not doing anything wrong. Maybe he's not hungry, maybe he has gas, try to keep relaxed and keep with it. Its a rough road but once you two get the hang of it you'll be smooth sailing.

Ixchel183

have you tried a pacifier? maybe he just wants to suck and doesn't want to eat? it doesn't mean you are a bad mom, my DD goes through phases like that every once & a while sometimes she wants to suck, sometimes she's just tired, sometimes she wants to eat but i just am not letting down fast enough. if you have a pump try to pump to get the flow going and then bring him to the breast. if you continue to have issues contact a lactation consultant they can be great!!! good luck!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Jamie_2284
by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Did he get a circumcision when he was there? My son was like that and they LC said its probably because hes in a little pain and doesn't feel like eating also my son is tongue tied. But I kept trying and trying and trying! We finally got it!!! Good luck and NO MATTER WHAT DONT GIVE UP your doing a great job!!!!!!!

I'm a young mother of two, 1 girl and 1 boy. I'm married to their amazing daddy.I proudly  exclusively breastfeed and I do it in public. I love baby wearing and co-sleeping I don't believe in C.I.O. or spanking.I use disposable diapers, I'm pro-choice. I forward face after 1 year. I think TV can be a great babysitter. I want 10 kids. I'm a non smoker and a non drinker. I don't care what people think, I know that I am doing whats right for my children.

Jamie_2284
by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Quoting Cmyfantasyworld:

Just keep trying. If you get aggravated give him to your dh and walk away for a bit. 

My son screamed bloody murder for the first three days and it took us 5 weeks to get nursing going well. 

SAME HERE!!!

whoda_thunk
by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Quoting Cmyfantasyworld:

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

Kristin216
by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 8:07 AM

you are both learning, and we all go through it with each baby. Maybe he is too hungry, now, watch for early feeding cues, like clenched fists, chewing on hands etc.

Keep trying and hang in there, once you both learn it will become a time of bonding and love and not all the schmantics.

Makenzies_mom
by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 8:18 AM

i agree your both learning it take time but dont give up . my milk did not come in for 6 weeks no joke i went to the LC and the hospital for help i tryed from birth to get my girl to latch but she was tonue tied and would refuse i eventaly pumped untill she was 11 months and my milk dryed up even with meds i was so sad but shes now 20 months and happy and we had a eduation eval on her done and found out shes a head of most kids her age for stuff shes doing right now and that made me happy. good luck

Quoting Kristin216:

you are both learning, and we all go through it with each baby. Maybe he is too hungry, now, watch for early feeding cues, like clenched fists, chewing on hands etc.

Keep trying and hang in there, once you both learn it will become a time of bonding and love and not all the schmantics.

ArmyMom2oneboy
by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Oh hang in there Momma! The first few weeks are the most difficult, but once you get past it, it becomes second nature! This is somthing my boss (who is an IBCLC) told me when I was having trouble with my young child. It is the baby's job to nurse, and the mother's job to keep the baby calm so he can do his job. Try going into a nice quiet dim room and strip him down to nothing but a diaper. you also remove everything from the waist up. Skin to skin contact is great for a baby and super relaxing for both of you. (Who doesn't just LOVE the feel of a baby's skin!) Sitting up, lay baby on your chest and just relax as much as possible, relaxing him. He might fall asleep, but that is okay. Once he begins rooting (even in his sleep, latch him on.If he gets upset, begin the process again.  Once he is good and relaxed, he will either latch himself on, or you can try to latch him. Good luck, Momma! You can do it!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
my_little_girl
by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 9:03 AM

You hang in there momma! You can do it! It's even harder right now because of the delivery pain you're going through! It'll get better I promise, just keep working with him and stay patient!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)