Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is my milk drying up....

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2009 at 7:17 PM
  • 7 Replies

So DS is 20 months old I have been nursing since birth and thank goodness no issues. He is a booby monster and loves to nurse ALOT. But I'm a SAHM and so it works for us...We also co-sleep which I think helped us as well. Anyway, the last few nights he has been waking up after like 2-3 hours of going to bed (it's usually 4-5) and he wants to nurse.However he nurses for 2-4 hours and he gets a little cranky and starts squeezing my boob. Could it be that I'm losing my milk supply? I hope not I love nursing but nursing that many hours straight and getting no sleep is not working either. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jess

Extended BFing, non-vaxing, co-sleeping, taking everyday as it comes, making healthier choices and loving being a Mommy to our amazing son, Maximilian born 1.15.08 @ 9:33 pm weighing in at 9 lbs 2 oz. Would love to home school. And preparing to hopefully have an all natural pregnancy and birth with our next blessing that comes our way!!!hugs

by on Oct. 2, 2009 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Amy614
by on Oct. 2, 2009 at 7:23 PM

bump... not sure what to yell you.  Good luck!

jess227ny
by on Oct. 2, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Thanks anyway ;-). Also, just wanted to add while teethingg his sleping schedule was pretty erratic and he nursed quite often as well but for some reason I'm not sure if this is related....

Extended BFing, non-vaxing, co-sleeping, taking everyday as it comes, making healthier choices and loving being a Mommy to our amazing son, Maximilian born 1.15.08 @ 9:33 pm weighing in at 9 lbs 2 oz. Would love to home school. And preparing to hopefully have an all natural pregnancy and birth with our next blessing that comes our way!!!hugs

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 2, 2009 at 8:28 PM
Quoting jess227ny:

So DS is 20 months old I have been nursing since birth and thank goodness no issues. He is a booby monster and loves to nurse ALOT. But I'm a SAHM and so it works for us...We also co-sleep which I think helped us as well. Anyway, the last few nights he has been waking up after like 2-3 hours of going to bed (it's usually 4-5) and he wants to nurse.However he nurses for 2-4 hours and he gets a little cranky and starts squeezing my boob. Could it be that I'm losing my milk supply?

No. It's just that he's found a new trick. Infant behavior never tells you a thing.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Oct. 2, 2009 at 8:39 PM

My daughter played that game for awhile - never during the day when there was stuff to do, of course, only at night when I wanted to go to sleep! :)  I spent many nights rocking her "to sleep" while nursing and she would lay there with a big grin on her face and just keep sucking for HOURS - - I often fell asleep before she did! 

You can try to cut him off, or you can sleep while he eats - As for the cranky boob squeezing, I would suggest telling him no and covering up when that happens.  At 20 months, he's playing games and needs to learn Mommy's rules :)  Good luck!!

jess227ny
by on Oct. 3, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking maybe this was his way of "staying up" ...lol. It makes sense because he is daytime potty trained and last night he insisted on me bringing him to the potty even though he had a diaper on. Looks like I will have to start being more firm with him at night. He's usually pretty good so this kind of snuck up on me. I do tell him no more but he cries  and cries and Hubby is sleeping and has to wake up early so I usually give in....gotta remember to stay strong!!! Thanks again.

Amy614
by on Oct. 3, 2009 at 12:38 PM

You don't have to say no, and refuse until the next feeding... You can say no til he's ready to eat nice, wait a minute or so, and then offer the breast again.  Just keep doing that, and he will get that being gentle and nice will get him what he wants, and being rough and hurting you will result in loosing what he is wanting.

jess227ny
by on Oct. 3, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Hey Amy thanks for your reply...I see what you mean but I realize my post might have been confusing. He doesn't actually squeeze my boob in an aggressive manner it's more like squeezing it to see if there is anything in there....lol. I don't know last night he slept pretty good but he's definately waking more to nurse it seems. I used to be able to sleep through it ( well you know what I mean) but, maybe I've become a lighter sleeper. Well, we will see how the next few days go. Maybe he is still doing this due to teething. It's just that I could usually figure out his pattern but for some reason I feel a little confused this time....

Jess

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)