Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

15 months "no eat, gack peas"(milk please)--HELP!

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 12:32 PM
  • 1 Replies

My 15m nurses more than eating food. She has gone from eating well and nursing only at naps, bedtime, early morning to wanting it all the time again. No sign of teething, not sick, what is the deal this has been going on for more than a month now. I don't offer, don't refuse, but I truly want to soon be done with nursing, I really don't want to nurse her after 2yrs and would love to be done before 2 yrs. QUESTIONS:  1. should I be worried that she is not eating table food more than nursing? 2. how do I get her to eat food and not nurse?  if I make her wait she throws a fit, then there is no chance of getting her to eat. 3. am I creating a nursing monster who will not want to quit because I let her nurse, instead of eat food if she wants too? I am very worried that she will not want to stop nursing anytime soon.

by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM
Quoting itsjjb:

My 15m nurses more than eating food. She has gone from eating well and nursing only at naps, bedtime, early morning to wanting it all the time again.

Pretty typical for the age.

No sign of teething, not sick, what is the deal this has been going on for more than a month now.

She's normal. They do this.

I don't offer, don't refuse, but I truly want to soon be done with nursing, I really don't want to nurse her after 2yrs and would love to be done before 2 yrs.

Welll.....most of parenting has nothing at all to do with what WE want. It's a tough lesson.

You can start dropping a feeding a week now if you have a deadline. No, she won't be happy with it. Don't offer don't refuse is for those who really don't care when weaning happens.

QUESTIONS:  1. should I be worried that she is not eating table food more than nursing?

Not really. Toddlers live on air and the occasional chicken nugget.

2. how do I get her to eat food and not nurse?  if I make her wait she throws a fit, then there is no chance of getting her to eat.

Offer the food. All you can do. You can choose not to nurse and let her have her tantrum. Don't look for this to be easy. Sorry.

3. am I creating a nursing monster who will not want to quit because I let her nurse, instead of eat food if she wants too? I am very worried that she will not want to stop nursing anytime soon.

You CANNOT create a monster unless your name is Frankenstein. She is NORMAL and what you;'re doing is FINE. And it's normal for them to not want to stop nursing any time before two years. They all DO stop on their own, and usually much more willingly if mom just offers solids and otherwise gets out of the way of the process.

Again. If you want it done on deadline, then start dropping one feeding per week and expect her to not like it. No, there is no easy way around that. I know that's not the answer you WANT but any other answer would be a lie and I'm not  in the habit of lying to moms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)