Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

bottled breast milk vs breast breast milk updated in red with another question

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 2:43 PM
  • 21 Replies

whats the difference? is it bad that i want to pump and not do the whole baby to my breast??

need advice..please help.

thank you

ok so i thought about it long and hard and for right now i am just going to pump..my sanity is more important for my child and myself right now. i thank everyone for their advice and im happy you replied. it may be a lil more work but in my eyes its better for now. he is getting the breast milk still..just not directly from my breast...we still do the skin to skin, holding him and hes a happy baby..he was always happy

thank you again ladies

maybe in the future when i get some of my sanity back i will try the breast again..i truly want my baby to have nothing but breast milk and in my eyes i did pretty good for 2 weeks of breast feeding even after an unexpected cesarean and this being my first child.

quick question though, what are nipple shields and how will that help me??

by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Caedens_Mommy
by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 2:45 PM

My son hated and did horrible at latching from day 1. So on a scale 0-100 I pumped 60 breast fed 40. Now it is a LOT of dedication to pump and feed your baby from a bottle. IMO it took a LOT more time to pump and its harder to keep your milk supply up. If you are ready for that then go for it!!! Of course BM is best! :-) Good luck!

Alexandria

{{Proud military wife of Ryan}}

{{Mom to Caeden & Bonus mom to Paige}}

army toddler boytoddler girl

Missbehaves
by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 2:49 PM

There's no difference nutrition-wise if you pump then directly feed it to the baby.  It will take you twice as long though - the time to pump plus the time to feed.  If you refrigerate and/or freeze the milk it will degenerate, but still preferrable to formula. 

MaddiesMama09
by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM

I don't think it is bad at all.  The main thing is that pumping takes A LOT of time and energy, and a big committment on your part (not to say that breastfeeding doesn't, though!)  I exclusively pumped for the first 2 months of my baby's life.  She would not latch and would scream bloody murder every time I put her to the breast.  I pumped every 1-3 hours, the same as if she were feeding straight from the boob.  Finally after constant attempts, when she was 2 and a half months old, she somehow figured out how to latch and has been a pro ever since.  Now that I have done both pumping and breastfeeding, I have found breastfeeding to be so much easier.  I think its great that you want to feed your little one breast milk.  I just don't want you to think that pumping will be any easier.  It wasn't for me anyways.  Best of luck to you and your baby!! 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 5, 2009 at 3:46 PM

As soon as you get intop freezing and warming, you do start killing some nutrients and antibodies. Also...pumping is triple the work of nursing. You're committing to every two hours waking on the pump for a whole year, and every three hours at night. ALL YEAR. 15 minutes every time.

Whereas if you just NURSE...baby is likely to go to three-four hour stretches between waking nursings within a couple of months. And around five months or so baby shortens sessions to maybe five minutes a go.

And if you're REALLY lucky...baby starts sleeping long stretches at night, too.

Up to you on whether the investment is worth the return. Personally, I don't think the ROI pencils at all.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM

And the only thing that would be BAD is if you said you planned on beating the baby. That is the NLY definition of "bad mom" here.

Shabaam_CFC
by on Oct. 8, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Quoting Mrz1986:

whats the difference? is it bad that i want to pump and not do the whole baby to my breast??

need advice..please help.

thank you

ok so i thought about it long and hard and for right now i am just going to pump..my sanity is more important for my child and myself right now. i thank everyone for their advice and im happy you replied. it may be a lil more work but in my eyes its better for now. he is getting the breast milk still..just not directly from my breast...we still do the skin to skin, holding him and hes a happy baby..he was always happy

thank you again ladies

maybe in the future when i get some of my sanity back i will try the breast again..i truly want my baby to have nothing but breast milk and in my eyes i did pretty good for 2 weeks of breast feeding even after an unexpected cesarean and this being my first child.

quick question though, what are nipple shields and how will that help me?? I use a nipple Shield when I feed my son. I am also a first time momma, and it was really hard to get him to latch on, and the first few days in the hospital didnt help since he was under Phototherapy for a 48 hour period, I couldnt feed him, so i had to pump and use a bottle...anywhoo, I digress though, A nipple shield is something you put over your nipple that helps with breast feeding, especially if you have a pseudo inverted nipple, or your nipples doesnt pretude enough for your child to latch on to.

If you can go talk to a lactation consultant, they could give you one to try and help you with latching. It really helped me out alot. Good Luck :)

New Mommy to a lovely son Charles (Charlie)

Wifey to my wonderful Husband Ken

and Soldier and SGT in the Army.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 8, 2009 at 11:33 AM
Quoting Mrz1986:
OK. Do what you have to do. Now I'm going to challenge you...outdo the vast majority of moms that I've seen go to exclusive pumping. Most of them quit before three months. Do better.

thank you again ladies

quick question though, what are nipple shields and how will that help me??

Nipple shields go over the nipple and make it seem more like a bottle.

shannwa
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Exclusively pumping is definitely more work but it's also very possible if you're committed, and you seem to be.  With my first child (he's 5 now) we had latch problems and using the nipple shield was limiting my supply so I started pumping for him.  It does tend to rule your life to some degree, but I think it was completely worth it so that he would have only breast milk.  We kept him exclusively on B.M. for the first six months and then I had a back injury that made pumping too painful.  We did have to wean him off the breast milk and onto formula then...:(  

I'm pregnant again now (almost 15 weeks) and I'm hoping this baby will have more luck with latching.  If not, though, the pump will once again be my constant companion. :)  Good luck to you!

piwife
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 11:08 PM

i eclusevely pump for 10mts and also used a nipple shied at first. if you wnat to know more about pumping letme know

i am a sahm and not loving it that much, prolife,progay marriage, immigration supported, gun supporter, feed your baby what you want, erf,spanking non cio, co-sleeping, photography lover kinda of mom in love with a u.s marine.
Journey311
by on Feb. 10, 2010 at 9:41 PM

For the poster that said you have to pump every 2 hours for a whole year, that's not necessarily.  I exclusively pumped with my son for 13 months, and I pumped the same amount of times per day that he ate, sometimes more just to have a reserve going.  So once he was down to 5 bottles a day and sleeping though the night, I only pumped 5 times a day.  In the beginnig it was every 2 hours because that's how often my son ate.  Fifteen minutes to pump, and I would get 10 oz total from both boobs on a bad day.  I never once had an issue with my supply until the end, and I had already made the decision to quit.  Yes, it was a lot of hard work, but it was the best decision for me and my family.  I see the original post was done in October, and I sincerely hope things are working out for you.  Once we got a routine established, it was like 2nd nature and a lot less stressful on the 3 of us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN