Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

starting solids?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2009 at 9:45 PM
  • 7 Replies

sorry... baby kicked the keyboard lol...

any who, my son is 6mo and we have given him solids before but never as a full meal.  Just to get used to the spoon and to try some new flavors.  He does *ok* but still definitely wants his boobies when hes hungry.  Is there an age where i should make sure he has X amounts of solids per day?

by on Oct. 6, 2009 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bhwrn1
by on Oct. 6, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Solids in the first year are for texture and taste, not for nutrition. All baby needs for nutrition the first year of life is BM (or formula if that is what they are getting). I wouldn't worry about baby needing anything more than BM until they are a year.

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 6, 2009 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

At 12 months his diet should be 25% or less made up of solids....if that gives you any diea.  Til 12 months solids are all for trying and new things and learning and a bit extra, not for much else.

Remember ALWAYS til atleast 12 months nurse FIRST then offer solids...up to you how much and how often but take it slow and nruse first

chantillyp
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 9:09 AM

When my daughter first started eating solids I would feed her a couple of tablespoons of baby food at the times when we would eat meals.  Three times a day.  Then, if she wanted to, I would nurse her afterward.  Over time, I increased the amount of baby food and number of times a day that she ate.  I included rice puffs from Gerber as snacks.  They are very soft and dissolve in baby's mouth.  Plus, they are whole grain and it gives your child another experience with a different texture.  Babies are very sensitive to textures of food...so, it's nice to try lots of different things.  I would start with only one baby food per week...that way you can find out if your baby has an allergy before you move on to another food.

chantillyp
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 9:12 AM

NOT TRUE! Solid foods are NECESSARY for proper nutrition.  There is no reason why you should nurse BEFORE you feed your child.  Parents should encourage their child to eat fruits and vegetables FIRST before you offer the breast since most children prefer breast milk over many foods.  It is VERY important for your child to get ALL of the vitamins and minerals necessary for growth! I think that most parents would agree that babies are interested in what we are eating...they want to eat with us...and they are still hungry after nursing...their bodies are growing and craving more than just breast milk.  It is important to meet all of your baby's needs and not prevent your child from enjoying the solid foods that their little bodies crave!  I just don't agree with some of the other moms on this issue.  Yes, breast milk is great, but my daughter is not losing anything by eating food along with her breast milk and now at 15 months she has not had any lack of interest in the breast.  It is still ALWAYS her favorite meal...so, why be so paranoid about introducing solid foods?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 7, 2009 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

HMMM so how about you do some research REALLY before posting alot of bad info...lets see if I can dispell the misinfo here with PROOF

Quoting chantillyp:

NOT TRUE! Solid foods are NECESSARY for proper nutrition. hmmm nope WHO and AAP BOTH recommend 6 months of NO solids, and minimal solids til 12 months 

There is no reason why you should nurse BEFORE you feed your child. 

UMMMM yeah thats leads baby to getting LESS breastmilk and becoming malnoursihed

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-how.html

Parents should encourage their child to eat fruits and vegetables FIRST before you offer the breast since most children prefer breast milk over many foods.  It is VERY important for your child to get ALL of the vitamins and minerals necessary for growth!

AND breastmilk is PERFECT nutrittion for 12 full months...wow

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

I think that most parents would agree that babies are interested in what we are eating...they want to eat with us...and they are still hungry after nursing...their bodies are growing and craving more than just breast milk.

YEs babies are interested in what we eat, heck they watch people with ciggarettes and beer too, but we know that its not safe for them, neither is giving LOADS of solids BEFORE breastmilk

AGAIN babies can go a full 12 month without solids and only 25% of their diet should be solids at 12 months anyways

It is important to meet all of your baby's needs and not prevent your child from enjoying the solid foods that their little bodies crave!  I just don't agree with some of the other moms on this issue. 

OR any medical organization either obviously

Yes, breast milk is great, but my daughter is not losing anything by eating food along with her breast milk and now at 15 months she has not had any lack of interest in the breast.  It is still ALWAYS her favorite meal...so, why be so paranoid about introducing solid foods?

its NOT paranoia its because until 12 months BREASTMILK should be THE major part of a babies diet, and if they are allowed to eat solids BEFORE nursing they will nurse LESS and get LESS milk and thus LESS nutrients...ounce per ounce BM has more nutrients, vitamins and calories than ANY foods.  Whether your daughter lost interest or not, it downed your supply and made her take in LESS breastmilk which was/is NOT good for her health...this is according to all medical organization, LLL, and IBCLCs everywhere

chairhead28
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

HMMM so how about you do some research REALLY before posting alot of bad info...lets see if I can dispell the misinfo here with PROOF

Quoting chantillyp:

NOT TRUE! Solid foods are NECESSARY for proper nutrition. hmmm nope WHO and AAP BOTH recommend 6 months of NO solids, and minimal solids til 12 months 

UMMMM yeah thats leads baby to getting LESS breastmilk and becoming malnoursihed

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-how.html

Parents should encourage their child to eat fruits and vegetables FIRST before you offer the breast since most children prefer breast milk over many foods.  It is VERY important for your child to get ALL of the vitamins and minerals necessary for growth!

AND breastmilk is PERFECT nutrittion for 12 full months...wow

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

I think that most parents would agree that babies are interested in what we are eating...they want to eat with us...and they are still hungry after nursing...their bodies are growing and craving more than just breast milk.

YEs babies are interested in what we eat, heck they watch people with ciggarettes and beer too, but we know that its not safe for them, neither is giving LOADS of solids BEFORE breastmilk

AGAIN babies can go a full 12 month without solids and only 25% of their diet should be solids at 12 months anyways

It is important to meet all of your baby's needs and not prevent your child from enjoying the solid foods that their little bodies crave!  I just don't agree with some of the other moms on this issue. 

OR any medical organization either obviously

Yes, breast milk is great, but my daughter is not losing anything by eating food along with her breast milk and now at 15 months she has not had any lack of interest in the breast.  It is still ALWAYS her favorite meal...so, why be so paranoid about introducing solid foods?

its NOT paranoia its because until 12 months BREASTMILK should be THE major part of a babies diet, and if they are allowed to eat solids BEFORE nursing they will nurse LESS and get LESS milk and thus LESS nutrients...ounce per ounce BM has more nutrients, vitamins and calories than ANY foods.  Whether your daughter lost interest or not, it downed your supply and made her take in LESS breastmilk which was/is NOT good for her health...this is according to all medical organization, LLL, and IBCLCs everywhere

Yes, tabi is right.

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 7, 2009 at 5:28 PM
Quoting chantillyp:

NOT TRUE! Solid foods are NECESSARY for proper nutrition. 

Sorry, hon, but no. An infant can go all the way through year one with NO solids and be as healthy...and likely healthier...than one started on cereal at four months.

YES, there is. A baby stuffed on solids won't nurse and will miss out on nutrients needed. Solids are not complete as breastmilk is (notable exception being Vit D, but sunshine makes up for that). An infant who's fed solids first is more likely to get constipation and to wean early.

Parents should encourage their child to eat fruits and vegetables FIRST before you offer the breast since most children prefer breast milk over many foods. 

No no no. Sorry. Nurse first, solids after. Though you are correct about the veggies and fruits being the right foods.

It is VERY important for your child to get ALL of the vitamins and minerals necessary for growth!

And THAT is what breastmilk provides. 100% RDA of all but Vit D. Sol takes care of that last. A baby filled up on solids gets considerably less than that 100 percent.

I think that most parents would agree that babies are interested in what we are eating...

Because it's what we're DOING...they have NO concept that it's food.

they want to eat with us...

Nope, they want to mouth whatever we're mouthing. Infants do NOT have a concept of food...they only have an understanding that their mouth is a sensory organ. Ever watch a baby just let food drop from their mouths? Happens all the time. Because they don't really know what it is, it's just something different.

and they are still hungry after nursing...their bodies are growing and craving more than just breast milk. 

If they're still hungry, they weren't done nursing! Never time. Let baby come off on his own.

It is important to meet all of your baby's needs and not prevent your child from enjoying the solid foods that their little bodies crave! 

Rarely do tiny infant bodies crave solids. That's generally toddlers.

I just don't agree with some of the other moms on this issue.  Yes, breast milk is great, but my daughter is not losing anything by eating food along with her breast milk and now at 15 months she has not had any lack of interest in the breast.  It is still ALWAYS her favorite meal...so, why be so paranoid about introducing solid foods?

It's not worth paranoia, no. Too many moms worry and solids are so ridiculoiusly simple. Nurse. Mash banana. Serve. Done. You've given solids. They are NOT important, really...and not a big deal.

We are going to disagree on this. But so will the AAP.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)