Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advice on solid feeding

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:49 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 181 Total Views

My son is 5 months.  We have been solid feeding twice a day for more than 3 weeks.  When should I go to three times a day?  Should his formula intake also increase?  It seems like he is drinking less.  He always leaves an ounce left from a six ounce bottle. 

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kimwilson16
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 8:40 PM

My son will be six months on the 31st. I have been doing cereal in the morning with half a jar of fruit, and cereal with a vegetable at night. He is breastfed. I think it depends on when you think he is ready. So far my son is really hungry in the morning and in the evening. I haven't really noticed a decrease in his nursing sessions. He still nurses 8-10 times a day. If you are not sure I would talk to your peditrician. Good luck!

mamadezavala
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 5:43 PM

My son will be six months on the 5th of next month. I give him food when he doesn't want my milk. He's a breastfeed baby. He sleep more bacause he stay full much longer. so if you baby has less take in of milk it's because the food fills him up. It's not a bad thing but he shouldn't just want food his milk is important too. well i hope i could help.

mama de zavala

cherylynn23
by Member on Jan. 30, 2009 at 7:42 AM

lol my son does the same thing.he'll be 5 months the 2nd.he loves his solids and juice etc.but loves to throw his bottle when he doesn't want it.he'll eat anything you put in front of him.havn't found anything he doesn't like.he LOVES his veggies too.i simply just feed him his food whenever he wants it and he'll eat a 6 ounce jar of stage 3.doc griped at me but i feel comfortable feeding it to him he HATES liquidy foods and will spit them out.what i believe is were the moms and we know what were comfortable feeding them.go with your instinct.best way to go.good luck.

hoping4number3
by Group Owner on Jan. 30, 2009 at 10:40 AM

my baby will be 5 mo on the first. And we have been doing solids since she was 4 mo. I feed her 3x a day (I bottle feed her 4 x a day) so after she eats a 6 oz bottle for b'fast, I feed her apples/carrots. Then lunch she eats about 4 oz bottle, and a good portion of food (sometype of veggies) and then4pm she eats about 5 oz and a few bites of more veggies. then I top her off at 8pm with about 8-10 oz bottle for the night. :)

ChristinaWO
by Member on Jan. 31, 2009 at 2:09 PM

If your baby is 5 months, she should drink around 5oz per feeding. But solids does fill him up more so you might not get that much in him. Babies know when they are full so don't try to force feed him. If he doesn't want that last oz then that's okay! When he is around 6-8 months you normally start up with 3 or more solid feedings. You just do what feels right to you and read your baby's reactings.

My daughter is almost 5 months, she eats 4-5oz when she takes a bottle (I still breastfeed too). She is not too happy with eating solid stuff so she gets very small amounts. I put some rice cereal in her bottles once in awhile.

pinkblackandblu
by on Jan. 31, 2009 at 2:14 PM

My son is 9 months old and we went from bottle feeding all day and at night we would feed him solids and then 2 months later we started 2 solids a day and he only drank 6oz of formula 4 bottles a day  and now were we do 3 solids a day and 3 bottles my son is also on stage 3 foods so he gets fuller faster. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)