Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not sure what to expect

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:18 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 236 Total Views
Hello! I am new to the group. My husband, two kids (lili-8mons. and noah-3.5 years) and I live in Columbia, Tennessee. Actually we just moved here from Florida (tampa bay area) two months ago. My husband tried to enlist in the army 6 years ago and was discharged because of a shoulder injury. About 2 weeks ago Chris (my husband) decided that he wanted to go back and try to enlist again now that his shoulder is healed. We got word today that they are going to let him go to MEPS and take the test...as a matter of fact he is going on early next week. They are doing a signing bonus right now that if he leaves for basic before august 26th that he get 20k. I am completely supportive of my husband I just dont know what to expect while he is at basic and after. My son, Noah, is Chris' step-son and I share custody with noah's biogical dad (I have permanent residency which means wherever I live he lives). I am just wondering if anyone else has been in this "dont know what to expect" situation and how things worked out. Being that we just moved we already dont know anyone here so this just complicates things all the more. All of our family live in florida and really dont understand why Chris is doing this especially since this leaves me with the kids alone for 9 weeks with noone I know around. I am also not sure how they do the money...I know that when Chris goes to basic I will get housing money but does his salary also start then? I am a stay at home mom and we rely on Chris' paycheck (that is one of the main reasons why we are doin this--financial freedom) so I am not sure if I am going to have to get a job and put the kids in daycare. Any advise or answer to my questions ladies?
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mib516
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:19 PM
When your husband goes into Basic Training, he will be getting paid.  Since both of you are married, that means that he qualifies for BAH and BAS, if you live outside of base. 
The 20K that he will be getting, you only get a portion of it upfront, usually half, and the rest if divided and given to you every year, for the rest of the enlistment time.
You as a wife are only entitled to a portion of your husbands paycheck.  So if you are not working and you both don't share the finances, make sure that you  have some way of supporting yourself, if he will be unable to provide financially when he is away....

ArmyWifeCNM
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 4:12 PM

"You as a wife are only entitled to a portion of your husbands paycheck.  So if you are not working and you both don't share the finances, make sure that you  have some way of supporting yourself, if he will be unable to provide financially when he is away...."

As long as you share the bank account that your husbands check is directly deposited into, you have all access to that money.  As long as this is what you and your husband have agreed on.
3TIlovemybabies
by Group Owner on Jul. 28, 2007 at 2:22 AM
SAD TO SAY BUTIT IS TRUE WHAT WAS SAID ABOVE ABOUT YOU ONLY BEING ABLE TO HAVE A PORTION OF YOUR HUSBAND'S CHECK BUT IT IS ALSO TRUE THAT IF YOU GUYS SHARE THE ACCOUNT THAT HIS CHECK GOES INTO YOU HAVE ACCESS TO IT. HOWEVER IF YOU WANNA BE ON THE SAFE SIDE OF THINGS HAVE YOUR HUSBAND ISSUE YOU A GENERAL POWER OF ATTORNEY WHICH HE CAN GET BEFORE HE LEAVES AND THE RECRUITER SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL HIM HOW TO GET THAT UNLESS YOUR NEAR A BASE AND IN THAT CASE IT WOULD BE EITHER FORT CAMPBELL, KY OR FORT KNOX, TN. (I BELIEVE THOSE ARE THE TWO IN THAT VICINITY.) JUST MAKE SURE ALL THAT IS TAKEN CARE OF BEFORE HE LEAVES CUZ ONCE YOUR SOLDIER IS AT BASIC THERE'S REALLY NO FREE TIME FOR HIM TO DO ANY OF THAT FOR YOU HIMSELF.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)