• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public Affection in uniform

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM
  • 24 Replies
  • 737 Total Views

What do you guys think in regards to public affection in uniform ?  Today my hubby and i were walking ( off base at target parking lot )  and i gave my hubby a very quick Peck on his lips (no tounge involved) just a tiny kiss. All of a sudden a man behind yells out "sir" and walks towards our direction and takes out his military ID to identify himself as a W-4, anyways he tells my husband he is not allowed to show ANY type of affection towards me and if he we wanted to kiss in public he should go and change to civilian clothes. First of all i disagree with this regulation and i feel it should be disregarded. The only reason why i kept my mouth shut is because i did not want to cause a scene in public, but common are you serious ? Have you had a similar situation and how did you handle it ? I believe that is called harrasment, I don't think stranger should come and tell you when is the right time to show affection to your loved one or how to do it.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happy6
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:35 AM

It doesnt matter if you disagree with a regulation or not, a soldier MUST follow the rules.. PDA is only allowed in ceremonial situations, promotions, homecomings and farewells, they arent supposed to hold hands in uniform either. That man could have handled it in a better way, BUT if a SR soldier sees a soldier doing something he/she shouldnt be doing, they MUST correct it.

armywife_ldm
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:52 AM

yeah, it's a pretty useless rule, but, as the previous poster said- the Army is a 24/7 job, so he has to follow the rules 24/7. We've been embarrased in Walmart parking lot before because my husband forgot to put on his headgear outside. LOL! it WAS embarrasing, but he admitted that he was at fault & apologized to the female CSM that reprimanded him. She's just doing her job... can't blame her for that when so many wives complain about personnel NOT doing their jobs...

ozzyswifey
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:57 AM

I think everything should have a balance if its just a peck they need to calm down its not that serious now making out and being over excessive  ok i get it.

mommee123
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 7:41 AM

First time I saw my husband from being in Iraq for 8 months the last time (he had spent two tours there with the MarineCorps), I did not get to hug or kiss or anything. I wanted to run hug and kiss, but he just said "HI lets go get my gear" and we left. I hardly ever saw my husband in uniform due to the fact that I would always kiss him, and hold hands, it is hard for me not too. We hold hands when we go to sleep sometimes. Just the way it is, and I forget so thanks for the reminder.  

Michele american flag ribbonTim, in loveJacob &twin boys Nathan giving dad heartVincent

misamama
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I agree w/ the rule. I'm told that if you want to show affection then you are to stand on the left side of him (so he can salute) and can only hold his hand. 

Find the book "Married to the Military. For wives, girlfriends, fiances, and women in uniform" by the CinChouse

This book is awsome and its for all military branches. Its gives helpful hints and other useful information.  

armywife_ldm
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:21 PM

i have that book!! my aunt whose husband is a CSM gave it to me! she said it really has helped her through a lot!

Quoting misamama:

I agree w/ the rule. I'm told that if you want to show affection then you are to stand on the left side of him (so he can salute) and can only hold his hand. 

Find the book "Married to the Military. For wives, girlfriends, fiances, and women in uniform" by the CinChouse

This book is awsome and its for all military branches. Its gives helpful hints and other useful information.  

MsCaptain
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Well thats a very stupid rule! It should be God first, wife, then the army ! Thats why the percentage rate for divorce is so high in the military. I would have pulled out my Bible and told him to point that out for me, and then I would have told him bout his self. He him self probably not happy in his marriage!

LouisianaMommy
lilpiggy
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 5:26 PM

I remember when my husband was in basic ... (after his basic before he started AIT) he got a 36 hr pass. So my baby girl and I drove 8 hrs to go see him and after their little ceremony I wanted to hug him and kiss( seriously i hadnt seen him in 12 weeks). he just walked up to us gave our little one a kiss on the cheek and said lets go. It broke my heart...I just assumed he didnt want to see me. But when we got in the car he said they were briefed about PDA and that when we got where he could change out his cloths then he'd show me how much he missed me. YES i think its stupid but its his job... And as much as it annoys me I support it!

2-1CavWife
by Member on Feb. 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM
I understand the rule. My husband comes home right after work or duty and changes out of his uniform before he does anything or we go anywhere. It's the job.
Tinabelle27
by Member on Feb. 16, 2009 at 3:21 AM

Just reading your story is making me wish that these next 3 years that my husband signed up for pass really quickly, because i can tell i am going to hate being a part of the army. No one has the right to tell a married couple that they can't kiss!! This is insane. Is this the US army or the chinese regime ?????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)