Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

frozen strawberries....

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:11 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 394 Total Views

i was wanting to try and make homemade strawberry jam. i found a recipe online "freezer jam" it looks easy enough but i was wondering can i use the strawberries  after i've already put them in the freezer? can i thaw them then make the jam? will it be okay or will this make it taste funny or not work at all?

i am new at this. I have never canned anything before

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I've made jam using frozen berries.  Thaw them and drain them a bit first, but don't squeeze all the liquid out.  If the berries were sweetened, you'll have to adjust the sugar.

londamg
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:20 PM

nothing was added to them i just washed them and took the tops off then placed them in freezer bags. we did this yesterday after picking them.

michiganmom116
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Cool!  That's what I was doing yesterday too!

Just let them thaw, crush them, and make your jam according to the recipe!

Quoting londamg:

nothing was added to them i just washed them and took the tops off then placed them in freezer bags. we did this yesterday after picking them.

londamg
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

thank you! i wasnt sure. i had to freese them because i didnt want them to go bad. and i hadnt really planned on making jam until today. a lady at church was talking about how she loves freezer ja and how easy it was. i had never heard of it before.so i looked it up and it sounds easy,so we'll see. i always thought making jams or jellies that you had to use a presser canning thing lol

michiganmom116
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I use the Ball No Cook Freezer Jam pectin packets.  Crush 4 cups fruit, add 1 1/2 c. sugar, add pectin mix & stir for 3 minutes.  Put in jars & freeze.  LOVE it!

londamg
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:02 PM

awesome,thanx so much

HJMT555
by Member on Jul. 11, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I have a friend at work that only uses frozen fruit because its soo hot in the summer lol so she freezes them all kinds and then in the winter, (Wisconsin) she makes her jams and jellies because its helping heat the house, its a great idea i really should do this I hate making anything in the summer that is making the air run more.

londamg
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 1:42 PM

well the freezer jam has no cooking involved at all so its perfect to make in the summer :)

londamg
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 1:45 PM

well i guess i kinda lied cus you have to heat up the pectin lol

sugareemama
by on Jul. 22, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Quoting HJMT555:

I have a friend at work that only uses frozen fruit because its soo hot in the summer lol so she freezes them all kinds and then in the winter, (Wisconsin) she makes her jams and jellies because its helping heat the house, its a great idea i really should do this I hate making anything in the summer that is making the air run more.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is brilliant!!!  lol

What use is a house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?

Henry David Thoreau

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)