Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is canninig DICED tomatoes turning into such a BIG deal?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 8:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 808 Total Views

My BALL canning book says I have to add lemon juice...okay.  I don't have any.  Can I use vinegar?  I can get some tomorrow and can tomorrow if I have to.  The other thing.  WHY would I have to water bath diced tomatoes in the own juice for 1 HOUR and 40 MINs?  Every other plain tomato canning calls for 45 minutes of processing.  This is getting too complicated.  My mom never used lemon juice (I understand about bringing the acidity up), and even though she didn't dice her tomatoes, she still cut them into chunks in the own juice and processed for 45 minutes...I'm lost.

by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
michiganmom116
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Hmm.  Everything I can find says 45 minutes for quarts and 40 minutes for pints.

Kittymama23
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Funny that you posted this; I was just given a bunch of tomatoes and needed to know the same thing. :) I just checked my Ball book (1941, so things may have changed), and it says this:

Tomatoes - Regular Pack
Wash firm, fresh, sound, ripe tomatoes. Scald (a few at a time), cold dip, and drain. Cut out all core and all hard or green spots. Skin. Pack solidly into hot Ball jars. Add 1 teaspoon salt to each quart. Add no liquid. Process 45 minutes in hot water bath; then complete seal.

Vieve3
by Member on Aug. 18, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I talked to my mom and she has and old Ball book too.  Mine is from 2004 and they have you add lemon juice to EVERYTHING...but the processing thing mystifies me.  I went back to double check and realize I was wrong.  It says 1 HOUR and 25 Mins.  That is still rediculous to me.  Safe to do 45 like the rest????  I think so.  I'll just add the lemon juice I picked up today to bring the acidity up.  Let me know if you think I'm way off.  Thanks

little-princess
by Group Owner on Aug. 22, 2010 at 12:25 AM

I'm guessing that the recipe you're using uses the raw pack method.  The raw pack method does require longer processing times.

Kittymama23
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2010 at 1:23 AM

I tried the recipe I posted the day after I posted it. It looks good, but I don't know how long to wait to test the first jar to see if it actually went bad. Any ideas?

momof4treasures
by New Member on Aug. 29, 2010 at 6:09 AM

Quoting Kittymama23:

Funny that you posted this; I was just given a bunch of tomatoes and needed to know the same thing. :) I just checked my Ball book (1941, so things may have changed), and it says this:

Tomatoes - Regular Pack
Wash firm, fresh, sound, ripe tomatoes. Scald (a few at a time), cold dip, and drain. Cut out all core and all hard or green spots. Skin. Pack solidly into hot Ball jars. Add 1 teaspoon salt to each quart. Add no liquid. Process 45 minutes in hot water bath; then complete seal.

This is exactly how I have done mine for the last 22 years.  Never had a problem with a bad jar.
  I do not use the lower acid type tomatoes.  If I did I would add the lemon juice.

WldHrts
by New Member on Oct. 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Because of genetically modified produce these days (most seeds you buy are the same thing too) produce is changing.  Tomatoes aren't as acidic as they used to be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)