Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Canning avocado's

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 4:01 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 2097 Total Views

Has anyone tried it?

I'm reading that large companies are finding a way to can them.  Apparently up until now the amount of acidic content (lemon, lime) needed to keep the browning away made the avocado taste bad.  I'd love a way to preserve them though (other than by electric means like a freezer).

by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LainieF
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I wish I could help, unfortunately, any avocados that come into my house disappear within a day. :)

doxiemommy
by Member on Feb. 5, 2011 at 12:45 PM

happy valentineThe only way I can think of preserving avocados would be to make Guacamole with a lot of tomatoes and lime juice...and of course, can them with pressure cooker. They are going to be mushy anyway you can them...might as well be safe!

Peace and Love!
Spring4398
by Member on Feb. 15, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Quoting doxiemommy:

happy valentineThe only way I can think of preserving avocados would be to make Guacamole with a lot of tomatoes and lime juice...and of course, can them with pressure cooker. They are going to be mushy anyway you can them...might as well be safe!

I hadn't thought of canning guacamole.  That's an interesting idea.  Do you have a recipe for that?

kimmykim
by Member on Jun. 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I have never heard that and I honestly don't think it would be good because cooked avocado would just have a weird texture to me.  I say just eat them fresh or freeze them if you really have to.

blessed33
by Member on Aug. 12, 2011 at 7:07 AM

LOL I was just thinking about that the other day! Lol  Was hoping there would be an answer...oh well. Lol :)  Maybe some day.

sweetpea1948
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:50 PM
has everyone given up on this. no post since 2010 . I am going to try when they come into season. I will try a fruit fresh powder dip. Hope it works.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)