Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Need Canning Help! Post Added...LOL.

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 9:23 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 305 Total Views

I am making apple pie filling and the recipe I am using calls for Clear Jel, which I can't find ANYWHERE! Can I use pectin as my thickening agent instead? I have to use a water canner, if that affects the solution. Also, can I add significantly more spices to the recipe than it calls for?

by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
michiganmom116
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Do you live in an area with Amish people?  They use it frequently and you could ask them where they get it.

Amazon sells it.

I've used cornstarch to make pie filling but it doesn't set up clear in the jar like Clear Jel would.  It doesn't affect taste or the final pie (heat and stir to restore consistency before putting in a pie shell.)

I found this for you:

The conversion ratio for Clear Jel is as follows:

• 1 Tbsp of cornstarch=1-1/2 Tbsp of Instant Clear Jel
  • 2 Tbsp flour or tapioca=1 Tbsp Instant Clear Jel
danielle115
by New Member on Sep. 25, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I don't live near any Amish people. I live in south FL, so canning really isn't popular here. Would pectin make it set up in the jar? I really don't want to have to recook the apples before I put them in the pie, dumplings, or turnovers. I want to have it available in a hurry in case I need it for drop in visitors.

michiganmom116
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Clear Jel is a modified cornstarch, not fruit pectin like Sure-Jell.  They don't interchange well.  You'd be better off using tapioca starch if you don't want to use cornstarch. 

danielle115
by New Member on Sep. 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I will have to try that! Thanks for the help!

What part of MI do you live in?  I lived in Auburn Hills 3 years ago. I am from FL, so we moved back. I really miss MI though!

michiganmom116
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Quoting danielle115:

I will have to try that! Thanks for the help!

What part of MI do you live in?  I lived in Auburn Hills 3 years ago. I am from FL, so we moved back. I really miss MI though!

I'm in the northern half of the Lower Peninsula, in Missaukee County.  I'd give a LOT to move south!  LOL  I hate that our growing seasons are so short and that winters are soooo hard.

Rhonda

danielle115
by New Member on Sep. 25, 2011 at 10:12 AM

DH has family in Marquette county. They said it snowed forever last year. I wish we could move back. I really miss it. I would die to have chicken from the Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth about now!

michiganmom116
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 10:36 AM

LOL I cannot complain about the food, that's for certain! 

I LOVE Frankenmuth!

LovemyQ
by Member on Oct. 2, 2011 at 7:00 PM

hI Danielle! I am from Southeastern MI. My dh works in Auburn Hills. And my favorite michigander that gives so much great advice is michiganmom (and now I am going to get her screenname wrong, sorry) What a small world.

When you get back into MI one day, we three will have to meet for Frankenmuth chicken!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)