Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Items you will need

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2007 at 5:36 AM
  • 28 Replies
  • 1659 Total Views

Waterbath Canner- for processing jellies, fruits, pickles, tomatoes and other high acid foods.  (This is te exact canner I use.)

Pressure Canner- used to preserve meats, vegetables & other low-acid foods.  (This is the model I have.  It's the Presto 23quart canner.  You don't have to have one this large, but if you are going to be canning a lot at a given time then I would suggest it.)

Canning Jar Lifter- for Lifting hot jars out of a canner

Canning Lid Lifter- to Lift canning lids out of boiling water safely and easily

Canning Funnel

Canning Jars- various sizes

These are just the basics, there are other things I can suggest that are not an absolute necessity

by on Apr. 28, 2007 at 5:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
butterfly7
by Member on Apr. 29, 2007 at 1:57 PM
Thank you! Didn't realize that you had to use one or the other for certain type foods. On the water bath, can the jars sit on the bottom of the pot, or do they need to be in a rack?
Thank you!
Monique
little-princess
by Group Owner on Apr. 30, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Yeah,the  waterbath canner can't reach a high enough temperature to safely can low acid foods.

You don't want the jars to sit on the bottom of the pot , so yes, use the canner rack.

austindeana
by on May. 1, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Quoting butterfly7:

Thank you! Didn't realize that you had to use one or the other for certain type foods. On the water bath, can the jars sit on the bottom of the pot, or do they need to be in a rack?
Thank you!
Monique
little-princess
by Group Owner on May. 1, 2007 at 5:35 PM
This better explains why you need the different types of canners.

If you've tried some water bath canning; making jams or applesauce, you may have been tempted to can some other vegetables from you garden.  If they are low-acid (and pretty much all vegetables other than tomatoes are low acid, not counting pickles - to which vinegar, which is acidic -  is added) you'll need a pressure canner!  And you definitely need a pressure canner for anything containing any meat.  Home canning of meats is even recommended, even with a pressure canner. 

The open water bath canners can't get water any hotter than 212 F and that's not hot enough to kill the bacteria. A pressure canner hits 240F.

Why do I need to use a pressure canner to can most vegetables?

A water bath canner is fine for acidic fruits and vegetables, such as jams, jellies, applesauce, apple butter, and tomatoes, but for almost all other vegetables, like carrots, squash, green beans, squash, corn, okra, etc. you'll need a pressure canner. 

Quoting from the Ohio State University Extension's Fact Sheet:  

"Pressure canning is the only safe method for home canning vegetables. Clostridium botulinum is the bacterium that causes botulism food poisoning in low-acid foods, such as vegetables. The bacterial spores are destroyed only when the vegetables are processed in a pressure canner at 240 degrees Fahrenheit (F) for the correct amount of time.

Clostridium botulinum is the bacterium commonly found in vegetables and meats. It is harmless until it finds itself in a moist, low-acid, oxygen-free environment or a partial vacuum. In  other words, a sealed jar! Under these conditions, the bacterium can grow and produce toxins dangerous to people and animals.

Do not process (low acid) vegetables using the boiling water bath because the botulinum bacteria can survive that method.

****This is also why you need to follow canning recipes carefully, especially processing times.******

mommytolaw
by on Oct. 18, 2007 at 9:06 AM

Thank you so much for posting everything you will need to start off!!!  I really needed to know that

windsng225
by Member on Oct. 19, 2007 at 10:38 AM
I agree with everything that has been posted here. Great advice. I have found though the veg's that are canned don't taste right to me. I personally freeze all my veg's, you don't loose that fresh "just picked taste" and I find that veg's that are jarred up have a funny taste to them. Freezing is the way I preserve things I can't put in the hot water bath. But that is my own opinion.
joyce

BTW, when you buy your hot water bath it comes with a rack and in some cases comes with the equipment. So, check around before you purchase anything.
13Rainbow
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2008 at 11:44 PM
I am so excited there is pics with this information....I'm just so nervous about doing it wrong cause I don't want my family to get sick.
little-princess
by Group Owner on Jan. 3, 2008 at 7:34 PM
I think most everyone is that way at first.  Just follow your recipes to the letter & you'll be fine.   
doxiemommy
by Member on Jan. 30, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Quoting little-princess:

Yeah,the  waterbath canner can't reach a high enough temperature to safely can low acid foods.

You don't want the jars to sit on the bottom of the pot , so yes, use the canner rack.

Hi, I'm new here! I have been canning now for many years and enjoy entering my wares in the local county and state fairs!
 Oh, yes, like little-princess says, PLEASE be careful when cannning! Follow your directions to the "T" and ALWAYS can low acid foods such as vegetables (other than tomatoes) and meats with a pressure canner. Botulism and other bacteria can kill! You can't taste it, smell it, or see it, but it is a deadly food-borne killer!
 Rule of thumb; jams, jellies and preserves (high sugar) can be water-bathed. Tomatoes and pickles (high acid) can be water-bathed.
 I'm gonna LOVE it here! Looks like you all are having a blast : )
Peace and Love!
Merr762
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Do I really need both or can I just use the pressure cooker for fruits as well?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)