Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Waterbath Canner- for processing jellies, fruits, pickles, tomatoes and other high acid foods.  (This is te exact canner I use.)

Pressure Canner- used to preserve meats, vegetables & other low-acid foods.  (This is the model I have.  It's the Presto 23quart canner.  You don't have to have one this large, but if you are going to be canning a lot at a given time then I would suggest it.)

Canning Jar Lifter- for Lifting hot jars out of a canner

Canning Lid Lifter- to Lift canning lids out of boiling water safely and easily

Canning Funnel

Canning Jars- various sizes

These are just the basics, there are other things I can suggest that are not an absolute necessity

by on Apr. 28, 2007 at 5:36 AM
Replies (21-28):
michiganmom116
by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Quoting sportsgrandma:

Thanks for all the information and I am still reading and where do I get the presure cooker as I haven't seen any.

I bought my brand new Presto pressure canner from eBay a few years ago.  It was $85 including shipping. 

HJMT555
by Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Most walmarts do carry all of the supplies they just carry it for "the season" I live in WI so spring to fall. I work at walmart and kinda know the seasons. Canning is great and really you do need both canners you can use the pressure canner for all but its more of a hassle when you just need a simple water bath. Ok havn't seen anyone mention this But Auctions are great for things maybe not the pressure canner but the water bath canner the jars I bought boxes BIG boxes at $1 a box they had like 30 jars in them Just make sure you check the rims with your fingers for nics that would prevent a good seel. Good luck to all the newbies.

AWALLD
by on Feb. 23, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Hi! I'm Amie. Am new here too. I'm wondering what the cost of these cookers are, if you know offhand or I can google lol! Thanks!

BornToRun84
by on May. 12, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Thanks for posting this!

Dawnness
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:29 AM

Thanks, helps alot. I will have to search around for these items. I'm not a big fan of Walmart, as it seems most products I get there crap out on me.  But will give them a try again if need be.

I know I could find most jars at flea markets, garage sales, auctions and such...but since this is all new to me, I think I will purchase my first jars brand new until I have more confidence in canning and myself doing it.

Missbehaves
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I think it depends on where you live if Wally carries it or not.  There are 2 nearby and the one that is more in the city doesn't have it, the one farther out does.

Anyway, I have a question.... if you use vinegar is it necessary to use pressure??

tazmidgiefairy
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2011 at 2:10 AM

thanks for posting this I had no clue where to start

workathome1
by Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quote  Liked Reply to Post

So Little Cost, so Great a Harvest

The ratio between the cost of a package of seeds, and the market value of the produce you will harvest from those seeds is significant. It's estimated that a packet of seeds will give you 50 times as much in market value of produce as the cost of the packet. So although you may not have control over the cost of beef, poultry, dairy and bread products, you can certainly save a considerable amount of money in produce by purchasing seeds from My Patriot Supply and growing your own vegetable garden.

From now until September 12, 2012,
get 20% off of
table seed packets. This is a limited time offer so click here Buy SEEDS HERE http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/?Click=27364
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN