Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Apple butter anyone?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:02 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 233 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Hi! I've just joined and I have a quick question if its ok. I am currently making my third batch of apple butter in three days and I still have another to go. I'm making it for a local fair/flea market type thing. As I've filled the jars each time I'm always left with a little extra that won't fill a jar even half way. I've just been using a fresh tupperware for that small amount and storing it in the fridge for personal use. Well, I've now got quite a bit and will have even more tomorrow and, quite frankly, I'll never eat it all before it goes bad.

Can I combine these containers and process them? Or will I just be asking for food poisoning? Should I follow any special procedures if I do this? Thanks a ton for any advice! Now I'm off to look at all the previous posts!

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lovemelovemenot
by Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I know this is late, but yes, you can combine them.  Add the leftovers to your finished apple butter so they can get reheated, then process them with the rest..

lovemelovemenot
by Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM

and you don't need to worry about food poisoning.  Apples are a high acid food.  All that's needed is a boiling water bath.

atmomma
by New Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! I plan on making it again for Christmas gifts and this will help me tons!!

Quoting lovemelovemenot:

I know this is late, but yes, you can combine them.  Add the leftovers to your finished apple butter so they can get reheated, then process them with the rest..

elijahsmama09
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Yep:) I see no problem with combinign them. If you wanted to be extra picky yu could just bring the leftovers to a boil, but I dont think you should have too. Wanna share your apple butter recipe? I love trying new ones.

workathome1
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I never had apple butter. What does it taste like????

atmomma
by New Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Honestly, I got it from allrecipes.com, lol. I did modify it though after reading the comments.

Basically, its a crockpot (mine is a 5 qt) full of peeled/cored/chopped apples. I use an even mix of gala, granny smith and golden delicious. Then you add 1 cup of white sugar, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 tsp each of salt and ground cloves, and a healthy sprinkle of cinnamon (I use a lot). 

Mix it up well, cover, and cook on high for 1 hour. Turn it to low and cook for 9 to 11 hours. I do mine at about 8 or so at night and cook it on low while I sleep. When I get up I stir it and turn it back to high. Cook for another 1-3 hours, depending on how thick you want it and then process it. 

So far anyone that has tried it really likes it so I haven't even tried a different recipe. 

Quoting elijahsmama09:

Yep:) I see no problem with combinign them. If you wanted to be extra picky yu could just bring the leftovers to a boil, but I dont think you should have too. Wanna share your apple butter recipe? I love trying new ones.

Missy5Brianne
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I have been wanting to try apple butter. I am going to try this out. ty

Quoting atmomma:

Honestly, I got it from allrecipes.com, lol. I did modify it though after reading the comments.

Basically, its a crockpot (mine is a 5 qt) full of peeled/cored/chopped apples. I use an even mix of gala, granny smith and golden delicious. Then you add 1 cup of white sugar, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 tsp each of salt and ground cloves, and a healthy sprinkle of cinnamon (I use a lot). 

Mix it up well, cover, and cook on high for 1 hour. Turn it to low and cook for 9 to 11 hours. I do mine at about 8 or so at night and cook it on low while I sleep. When I get up I stir it and turn it back to high. Cook for another 1-3 hours, depending on how thick you want it and then process it. 

So far anyone that has tried it really likes it so I haven't even tried a different recipe. 

Quoting elijahsmama09:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)