Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NEWBIE HERE to group & Canning

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 94 Total Views

Hello everyone, just joined the group, and I am re-introducing myself to canning. I remember watching my mom and aunts canning fresh fruit when I was growing up. Now that things are getting a little out of control at the grocery stores, I have begun the steps in canning things to save money. Recently, I made pasta sauce, which was the first thing I ever tried to can....it was a real eye opener! While I found a great recipe, I had too many people chirping in my ear on what to do, what to add and blah blah blah. I decided to stay true to the recipe and it's instructions.....the end results were not too bad. For each pint jar I added around 1/4tsp of citric acid (as the preservative) before adding the jars to the water-bath. Everything went great! Jars sealed perfectly! Although, I found out later on that because of that citric acid, I needed to add a small can of tomato sauce to cut out the lemony flavor....other than that, it tasted just like a store bought sauce....and I have plenty of it for the next several months!!! I'm getting my feet wet by trying to master water-bath canning....and I can use all the help you are all willing to give!!! I take lots of notes!!! ;) Looking forward to learning all I can from you all!!

Shani 

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MessedUpMama
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Congratulations on a good first batch! Jam is easy to make if you can get fresh fruit, of course you can can the fruit in a light syrup. If you want to can vegetables and/or meat you will need a pressure canner. Canning is fun, if you have someone you can do it with it's even more fun.

Lady_StarLight
by New Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Oh I know right?! Hoping that next summer I can do the whole jam & jelly thing....I'm actually looking forward to that.....for now, I'll just keep improving the pasta sauce thing, and try some other canning recipes until I feel good enough to branch out a little bit ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)