Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Using your pressure canner

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2015 at 2:24 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 236 Total Views
What steps do you take? I'm new to this but have done a few batches. My instructions say to turn my stove to high till the steam has been blasting out for 10 minutes then put my weight on and turn it down. The first time I did this my little weight did it's rocking thing and all went well. But since that first time my weight doesn't do the rocking thing anymore so I just do as I did the first time and turn it down and start the time. Plus all my batches come out with 2-3 inches less water in the jars so the top few inches look dry. I don't have the gauge just the weight and there seems to be to much guess work. Water bath is so much easier.
by on Feb. 28, 2015 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
beckolette
by New Member on Oct. 19, 2016 at 10:38 AM

You loose water due to 'not tight enough" rings.

Not getting all air bubbles out of contents. You really have to get aggressive with things. Just be sure to use plastic or wooden to do this. Metal can scratch or damage the inside of the glass. I use the handle of a wooden spoon. Push down in the middle too. 

The weight problem. You absolutely must have that rocking and hissing. If it does not, then you are not achieving the temp you need. Even after waiting for the steam to vent before putting the weight on, it will take time for it to rattle. Reread the instructions.  I'm sure you missed the step where you wait until the weight is rattling constantly. THEN you turn it down slowly, adjusting until it is rocking gently but constantly. This is when you start the timing. If the weight stops jingling check to see why by giving it a gentle nudge with a long handle. If it does not jiggle, turn off the stove and allow things to cool. once it is cooled you can remove the weight and see if the hole is plugged in the lid. If so, please be very careful. It is under pressure.

Once you fix the canner so it is jingling properly. You MUST restart the processing. Bring the steam back up to venting at high heat for 10 mins. place weight on at the proper poundage and then wait until the weight is rattling constantly. Then lower the heat GRADUALLY until the rattle is gentle but constant. It can pause for a second or two but not stopping for longer than that. Once you have the heat adjusted you can then start timing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)