Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Italian Diced Tomatoes?

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2008 at 4:30 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 7014 Total Views

So I finished my peach salsa which is amazing, thank you for the recipes if it was this group that answered my question, I don't remember....

And now I want to do Italian Diced Tomatoes because we have a favorite soup that uses them and we go through tons of the store bought kind.  So I thought if I used this bushel of tomatoes I got this morning to just make them on my own we would be ok for the rest of the winter and spring.  I don't have a recipe in my canning book though and can't find one online.

So the storebought kind has diced tomatoes, basil, oregano and garlic.  If I want to make this on my own how would I do it. 

I think I would need to add lemon juice right?  or water?  and probably some salt? 

I have no idea.  If you mroe experienced canners could give me some tips or come up with a recipe yourselves and let me know how I need to do it that would be awesome.  I would like to start on them tomorrow because these tomatoes are big and gorgeous and ripe!

by on Sep. 20, 2008 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
little-princess
by Group Owner on Sep. 20, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Here is a recipe that should help you.  It's to do halved tomatoes but you can dice them smaller if you like.

Herb Seasoned Tomatoes

makes about 6 pint jars

12 cups halved cored peeled tomatoes

spice blend (see recipes at bottom)

bottled lemon juice

salt (optional)

Prepare canner jar & lids.  Choose desired spice blend.  Prepare the quantity needed and set aside.  Place tomatoes in a large stainless steel saucepan.  Add water to cover.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring gently.  Reduce heat & boil gently for 5 minutes.  Before packing each jar of tomatoes add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice & 1/4 teaspoon salt (if using)to jar.  Add the specified quantity of your chosen spice blend.  Pack hot tomatoes into prepared jars to within a generous 1/2 inch of the top of jar.  Ladle hot liquid into jar to cover tomatoes, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Remove air bubbles & adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot liquid.  Wipe rim.  Center lid on jar.  Screw band down .  Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water.  Bring to a boil & process for 40 minutes.  Remove canner lid.  Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars.  Cool & store.

Italian Spice Blend-

to make 6 jars combine 4tsp. basil, 2 tsp. thyme, 21/2 tsp. oregano, 11/2 tsp. rosemary, 11/2 tsp. sage, 1 tsp. garlic powder, & 1 tsp. hot pepper flakes (optional)

for each pint jar use 21/4 tsp. of spice blend.  If omitting hot pepper flakes use only 2 tsp. per jar

Mexican Spice Blend-

to make 6 jars combine 6tsp. chili powder, 2 tsps. each ground cumin, oregano, garlic powder & ground coriander, 11/2 tsp. seasoned salt (optional)

for each pint jar use 21/2 tsp. of spice blend.  If omitting the salt use only 2 tsp. per jar.

Cajun Spice Blend-

to make 6 jars combine 3 tsp. chili powder, 2tsp. paprika, 11/2 tsps. each of onion flakes, garlic powder, ground allspice & thyme, 1 tsp. cayenne pepper

for each pint jar use 2 tsp. of spice blend.

This recipe comes from the Ball Complete Book of Home Canning.

Freebie Finders
http://www.cafemom.com/group/freebiefinders 
                                                          Home-canning Mommies
                                                     http://www.cafemom.com/group/homecanning        

coleyweight
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Thank you!  That is perfect, I will just substitute the spices I want in it!   I have that book so I wonder why I didn't see it,  I must have gone through the index a hundred times. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)