Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dehydrator

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:26 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 235 Total Views
I just found out I have a food dehydrator in the attic..Yeah! (forgot I had it..) And I went looking on allrecipes.com and found some awesome recipes to use.  Does anyone else use a dehydrator and have some recipes they'd like to share?  The recipe I found this morning was for Beef Jerky..(do you know how expensive that is in the stores?)  Am thinking I'd like to try some fruit as well. Ok, one more question...What do you store the food in once it's done? That is, if there is any left to store..hehe
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aslforme
by Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:35 PM
i do beef jerky and i have dehydrated chiles, blueberries and other fruits. my son loves fruit roll ups.
little-princess
by Group Owner on Aug. 1, 2007 at 2:10 PM
I mostly use mine for drying my herbs (I grow alot of them so it's easier just to dry them in large batches in the dehydrator.)  I've done onions before  which I then put into the processor and turned into onion powder.  I've done apples slices for snacking.  Broccoli is good for drying to use in soups etc.  I just did some Beef Jerky 2 days ago however I used a seasoning packet that I got from the store.  (it came out way to salty)  I think I'll go back to just using the recipes that came with the dehydrator for that. 

I usually just put whatever I've done into ziplock bags because it really doesn't last that long.  If it's something I know won't be eaten for an amount of time then I may package it with my foodsaver.
tootaflute
by Member on Aug. 1, 2007 at 9:15 PM

Speaking of dehyd., mine is a hand me down from my mom but she lost the book and my stepdad (deceased) is the one who actually used it. How do I go about finding a book for it? or are they all basically the same? One is round with the body itself like a see throught glass, the other is more like an old microwave in size and has several shelves. Can anyone help?

Buddyboosmom
by on Aug. 3, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Quoting tootaflute:

Speaking of dehyd., mine is a hand me down from my mom but she lost the book and my stepdad (deceased) is the one who actually used it. How do I go about finding a book for it? or are they all basically the same? One is round with the body itself like a see throught glass, the other is more like an old microwave in size and has several shelves. Can anyone help?

You can type in the manficature of the dehy. and they might have the manual for it. If not google fro the manual. I found my camera and ice cream maker manuals on-line.

Gailvixen
by on Aug. 3, 2008 at 7:16 PM

It's one of the few things I leave out in my kitchen all year besides my mixer! I dry tomatoes, blue berries and herbs - whatever is almost over ripe and I want to save before it goes bad. I usually crush the herbs and refill my shakers. The berries I pack in plastic baggies, but they never last long with my husband about. Tomatoes I have packed dry in foodsaver bags and in oil. Yummy on salads!

Never tried jerky yet though, you'll have to tell us all how it turns out if you do it!

NikkiMarie333
by New Member on Aug. 3, 2008 at 7:24 PM

I make alot of beef jerky and send it to my husband when he is deployed. I have also made banana chips

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)