Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please Help! I need a Salsa recipe

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:41 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 238 Total Views

My family used to have a wonderful recipe but for some reason after my Grandmother passed no one seems to know what happened to it. I will take all the help I can get. Also maybe a marinara sauce recipe too! Thank you all to those who respond

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
michiganmom116
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 7:47 AM

SALSA

Let tomatoes sit for an hour, drain and put in large pot.  Add rest of ingredients. Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and simmer until desired consistency (draining the tomatoes brings this time to almost nothing).  Pour into jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space and process in a hot water bath for 45 minutes.

jenn1972
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I'm new to canning, but I thought that you had to pressure can anything that had the pepper and onions, etc mixed in with tomatoes? I'm hoping I'm wrong, it would sure make my weekend work a little easier! 

Please let me know!

michiganmom116
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 11:00 PM

If a recipe calls for pressure canning, then by all means take the safe route and use the pressure canner.  This particular recipe didn't call for it.  Between the lemon juice and the acidity of the tomatoes I guess it provides enough acid to kill the bacteria.  I've made this salsa for 3 years now and I've never had problems with jars coming unsealed due to bacteria growth or anyone getting sick; then again it doesn't last long!  I made 30-something pints last fall and it was gone by January.

Quoting jenn1972:

I'm new to canning, but I thought that you had to pressure can anything that had the pepper and onions, etc mixed in with tomatoes? I'm hoping I'm wrong, it would sure make my weekend work a little easier! 

Please let me know!

excougarmama
by on Jun. 12, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I second the pp's opinion on the pressure canning. My mom and I have been canning together since I was a little girl and salsa was made every year. Never used a pressure canner on it. Noone ever got sick. I think between the heat of cooking the onion and peppers and the processing and adding the lemon juice that there is little to no chance for bacteria to grow.

But there is nothing wrong with using a pressure canner even if it's not called for. It wont change the flavor of the salsa.

HJMT555
by Member on Aug. 6, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Salsa

8 cups peeled, chopped tomatoes (I don't peel mine)

4 cups chopped green peppers

2 cups chopped jalapenos

2 cups chopped onions

12 cloves garlic minced (I buy mine in the large jugs)

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar

2 TBSP salt

2 TBSP sugar

1TBSP cumin (or cornstarch, i use cornstarch)

2 tsp oregano

6 oz can tomato paste

Combine all EXCEPT paste bring to boil, reduce simmer an hour uncovered until thickened stir in paste and simmer a few min longer pour into jars leaving 1/4 inch head space process for 1/2 hour in boiling water canner. yields 6-7 pints

play around with the recipe I add more sugar and habanero peppers only one or two per batch watch out for peppers everyone knows to wear gloves when seeding and chopping them right? I also chop the stuff bigger I like chunky salsa and I don't cook it as long in the first stage. its the tomatoes and vinegar that make it ok to not presser can it is about the acid level and try vinegar wow acid.

Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)