• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do i get a 21 month old to behave in church

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 375 Total Views

When we go to church on sundays my dd isn't usually quiet n walks back n forth alot..How can i  get her to pay attn in church or is she too young yet 

I'm a pediasure giving,forward facing,time-out giving,story reading,baptizing,vaccinating,disposable diapering,hug n kisses giving mommy to a lil princess named Desirae

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momoflilangel
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:58 AM

When my daughter was a baby I said I didn't want her to ever have to go to the nursery cause I have seen toddlers sit in church and be good. But when she got to be a toddler she had to go to the nursery. She wouldn't sit still, be quiet, etc. I tried and finally just put her in the nursery. Now she is in the 2-3 year old class and she loves it. So I am no help on how to keep them in church cause it didn't work out for us.

Mommy2GodsGifts
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Yea our church doesn't have a nursery unfortunately...I wish they did at times..Ty for tryin though =] 

I am a bible reading,prayer saying,church going,god loving,sunday school helping,non-spanking,devotion reading,married,baptizing and vaccinating proud mommy of 2 wonderful gifts from God!

tocreatefire
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 10:18 PM

For most kids this age they are still to young to sit quietly and pay attention to the service.  If your church has a Nursery/Sunday School it would be benificial to have her go. She will still learn about God and things will be on her level.

If your church does not have a Nursery/Sunday School program then your best bet would be to make sure that your DD gets some running around time before church. Also pack a small bag with some quiet Church only toys.  Things like etch-a-sketch, Magna Doodle/Aqua Doodle, Books, Sticker Books, stuffed animals or other things your child likes. You could also try bringing headphones and a mp3 player or similar device for music or audio books unless you think your child is going to call out or sing outloud.

Some parents also find packing a sippy cup and snacks helpful as well.

Just be prepared to take a walk outside if necessary.  Though for some kids sitting in a place where they can see what is going on and be closer to the action helps.

I wouldn't worry to much about your DD walking around a bit. If it bothers other people then perhaps mention to them that they should suggest having a nursery for the kids who are too young to sit still. Often we as parents are more bothered by the people around us are with our kids behavior in church.

If your still concerned check to see if there is a children's mass or if your church has multiple masses perhaps you and your dh can go to different masses the other staying with your DD or find another family to do that with. Them watching your DD for one service you watching their children for the other.

ILoveMyIsaiah
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2009 at 3:41 AM

She's not too young to be expected to behave & be quiet, but definitely too young to be expected to sit & pay attention to "big people church."  I agree w/ the post above.  Sunday school is great if offered.  If not, I would bring some non-messy snacks & quiet toys & books to keep her occupied.  I also think some wandering around in your pew is ok as long as she's not running or being loud & obviously I wouldn't sit in the front  :-)

amandal535
by New Member on Sep. 12, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Most times I would even say Nursery is a great option... however sometime's it's not an option... our daughter is somewhat aggressive and sometimes we have to go get her and she has to sit in the sanctuary with us... We keep her busy with quiet activities rather than expect her to sit and listen, she loves books, we bring books for her and crayons and paper/coloring books... No one sitting around you will expect her to be listening, she isn't going to understand 1/2 of what the pastor is saying anyway.  The pastor won't even be offended if she's not listening I promise! LOL :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)