Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAUNDERS BAKERY - WEDDING CAKE FILLING OF CHERRIES AND NUTS BETWEEN LAYERS

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2008 at 4:46 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 3453 Total Views
I AM LOOKING TO FIND SOMEONE WHO WORKED FOR THE (NOW CLOSED) SAUNDERS BAKERY IN THE DETROIT AND SURROUNDING AREAS MANY YEARS AGO.  THEY HAD A FAB TUNNEL OF FUDGE CAKE, A BIRTHDAY CAKE WITH BUTTERCREAM  FROSTING AND CRUSHED WALNUTS ON THE SIDE OF THE CAKE.  SAUNDERS MADE MY WEDDING CAKE IN JUNE, 1973 DELIVERED TO DEARBORN COUNTRY CLUB RECEPTION AND IT HAD A FANTASTICE FILLING BETWEEN LAYERS THAT CONSISTED OF CHERRIES AND NUTS AND I HAVE SEARCHED FOR YEARS TO FIND SOMEONE, ANYONE WHO WORKED IN THE BAKERY WHO MIGHT HAVE THE RECIPEE TO SHARE WITH THIS FORMER MICHIGAN GIRL.  SAUNDERS HAD THE BEST CHOCOLATE CANDY, AND HOT FUDGE SAUCE THAT WE BRING BACK TO THE SOUTH WHEN EVER WE COME BACK TO MICHIGAN.  THE PERSON OR PERSONS WHO WOULD HAVE THIS INFORMATION WOULD HAVE WORKED FOR SAUNDERS DIRECTLY AND MAY HAVE BEEN IN THEIR CAKE DEPARTMENT WHERE THEY MADE THE CAKES.  SO I WOULD SAY THAT PERSON, MAN OR WOMAN WOULD BE A GREAT AUNT, UNCLE OR GRANDPARENT.  I NEED SOMEONE HELP WITH THIS BECAUSE IT IS NOT EASY TO FIND MANY OF THESE BAKERS STILL WORKING SINCE SAUNDERS BAKED GOODS HAVE CLOSED FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS.  BUT SOMEONE OUT THERE MUST KNOW SOMEONE WHO WORKED THERE AND THEY MAY HAVE AN ANSWER. TIME IS NOT ON OUR SIDE BECAUSE MOST OF THESE CRAFTSMEN AND BRILLIANT BAKERS DO NOT WORK ANYMORE, BUT YOUR CAKES LIVE ON IN THE MEMORY OF ALL OF US WHO GREW UP DRINKING VERNORS GINGERALE. FAYGO RED POP, BETTER MADE POTATO CHIPS AND KOWALSKI SAUSAGE CO.
PLEASE PLEASE ASK AROUNT AND TRY TO HELP ME.  I WILL SINCERELY APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORT AND MAYBE WE CAN HAVE A  REBIRTH OF A TRADITION.  THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND HELP. BLESSINGS,  JULIE TIFFT PAIS OF LAKE OF THE WOODS, VA
by on Jan. 6, 2008 at 4:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MamaG
by on Jan. 6, 2008 at 5:17 AM
I know this isn't what you wanted, but I'm wondering if this is the place?
http://www.sanderscandy.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1&chapter=0
LittleMissBossy
by Group Owner on Jan. 6, 2008 at 2:02 PM
 I have tried to do some research on those recipes and I can't find anything.
I did find a couple of Tunnel of Fudge cake Recipes if you want to try them. And see if they are anything like what you hav
TUNNEL OF FUDGE CAKE 
1 3/4 c. butter, softened
1 3/4 c. granulated sugar
6 eggs
2 c. powdered sugar
2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. cocoa
2 c. chopped walnuts
GLAZE:
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
1 1/2 to 2 tbsp. milk
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 12 cup fluted tube pan or 10 inch angel food tube pan. In large bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add powdered sugar; blend well. By hand, stir in remaining cake ingredients until well blended. Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 58 to 62 minutes. Cool upright in pan on cooling rack 1 hour; invert onto serving plate. Cool completely.

In small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until well blended. Spoon over top of cake, allowing some to run down sides. Store tightly covered. 16 servings.

Tips: Nuts are essential for the success of the recipe

FROM SCRATCH TUNNEL OF FUDGE CAKE 
1 3/4 c. butter, softened
1 3/4 c. granulated sugar
6 eggs
2 c. powdered sugar
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. cocoa
2 c. chopped walnuts
Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add powdered sugar, blending well. By hand, stir in flour, cocoa and walnuts until well blended.

Spoon batter into greased and floured 12 cup Bundt pan or 10 inch angel food tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 58-62 minutes. Cool upright in pan on cooling rack 1 hour. Invert onto serving plate. Cool completely. Spoon glaze over top of cake, allowing some to run down sides. Yields 16 servings.

Note: Nuts are essential for success of recipe. Because cake has soft tunnel of fudge, ordinary doneness cannot be used. Accurate oven temperature and baking time are critical. In altitudes above 3500 feet, increase flour to 2 1/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons.

GLAZE:
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1 1/2-2 tbsp. milk
Combine sugar, cocoa and milk in small bowl until well blended. Store tightly covered.

Tunnel Of Fudge

INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 (3.5 ounce) package non-instant chocolate pudding mix
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/3 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 cups chopped walnuts
  • 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 6 tablespoons milk

DIRECTIONS

1. In medium pan, combine 1 1/2 c milk and pudding mix. cook as directed on package Add chocolate chips and stir until melted. set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan or tube pan.
  3. In large bowl, combine sugar, butter and shortening. Beat till light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs. Mix well.
  4. Add flour, 1/2 c cocoa, baking powder, salt, and 1 cup milk to bowl. Beat at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Stir in walnuts.
  5. Reserve 2 cups of the batter. Pour remaining batter into greased and floured pan. Spoon filling in ring on top of batter, making sure it does not touch sides of pan. Spoon reserved batter over filling.
  6. Bake at 350 F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 60 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 1 hour in pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
  7. In small bowl, combine confectioners sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa. Add enough milk for desired drizzling consistency. Spoon over top of cake, allowing some to run down sides.

e had.
MamaG
by on Jan. 6, 2008 at 7:27 PM
WOW that cake looks delicious!
harley297
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Myname is Debbey.  I am responding to the Sanders Bakery quote.  I am a native Nashvillian but spent summers in St.Clair Shores Michigan where my Aunt worked in the bakery Dept at Sanders.  She lived on Yale Blvd .  Today is Wednesday July 20th 2011 and I am awaiting the arrival of a Sanders Bumpy Cake.  My cousin who is from St. Clair Shores but now lives here in Nashville went home to visit friends this week and she is bringing me a Bumpy Cake.  I am so excited.  My cousin Kathy will have some of the info you are looking for re: Sanders recipies.  My Aunt retired from Sanders years ago .  If we can be of any help just let us know.

Debbey

aboogies2000
by New Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:09 PM

My mother Louise Poulson use to work at Saunders in the mid to late 1940's.  She use to decorate cakes, wedding cakes etc.

Kind Regards

Liz

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN