Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sedation Dentistry?

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:37 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 273 Total Views

Anyone ever had to use Sedation Dentistry for a severe dental issue for there children? Let me know how it went. Where you nervous? Did it turn out well? Give me the scoop. Its been suggested to me for my 5 year old and it scares me to death!

by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kcook55
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

i just made a post about this exact thing if you want more details open that post it went very well and dd didnt have any pain after wards my dd is still 4 tho i think the hardest part was they limited her already limited diet due to food allergies so i have had to say no alot for all her fav foods

aj23
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 11:50 PM
My son has had it done twice and is going in for a 3rd time in 2 weeks. His teeth grow odd and he had to have some capped and some fillings that he has are coming out.
The sedation is so much easier on him than trying to do things without it. He sleeps for the better part of the day when he has it and he's back to his normal self when he wakes up.
I always schedule the appointments as early as I can since they say no food after midnight so its easier on him than having to go hours without eating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M.PerroneDDS
by on May. 26, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Sedation dentistry is needed on cases that involve extensive work and the dentist feels the patient cannot sit for the required time. Much more efficient and makes it easier on the child(not so much for the parent or caregiver). It is very safe but as with any procedure of this magnitude there are risks. make sure you ask lots of questions and feel comfortable with your decision.

Marielaina Perrone DDS, Henderson, Nevada

http://www.drperrone.com
Ella3907
by Member on May. 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM

thank you all so much for all your help... and It is nice to hear from a dentist as well... We have asked lots of questions just have so many more. I know its common place and every day stuff for the dentists but its has really taken a toll on us the parents. We are scheduled for this friday and are still questioning our decision.

Quoting M.PerroneDDS:

Sedation dentistry is needed on cases that involve extensive work and the dentist feels the patient cannot sit for the required time. Much more efficient and makes it easier on the child(not so much for the parent or caregiver). It is very safe but as with any procedure of this magnitude there are risks. make sure you ask lots of questions and feel comfortable with your decision.

Ella3907
by Member on May. 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I suppose what makes this decision hard is just two weeks ago today my husband and I both lost one of our parents. My father died of a heart attack on the same day my mother in law had a massive stroke. These two events happening at all are devestating to most everyone, but to happen on the very same day was just catastrophic to us.  My husband sat by his mothers bedside watching her breath through a toob for 72 hours. I know it is totally unrelated and the circumstances of her death were obviously not related to being intibated. It has just put so much fear in us. It makes you feel so vulnerable to anything, and you are all probably thinking we are blowing this all out of proportion (I think that is what the dentist thinks) but because of the recent happenings it can't be helped. We really want this to be done and want to get it over with to put it in the past.  I am also pregnant and due in about 3-4 weeks...This may bring me even closer to that...haha..

Ella3907
by Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Well today was the day, we did it. My daughter had her teeth worked on and we went with the full sedation.  wow that was hard to sit and wait for... but the hardest part was seeing her wake up in such confusion... she really doesn't handle sedation well... took her a good hour to really come out of it. The thing that seemed to bother her the most was they did numb her gums (both sides) and she didn't like not being able to feel her lips. doing better now and getting used to the "princess crowns" on her back teeth. For her sake mostly and mine I am so glad this is over and behind us.... I really thought I was not going to be able to handle it and she is the one who had all the work done. poor baby, glad she is on the mends. Thanks for all your comments and advice it really helped me to be able to go through with it. otherwise she would have had to endure many visits and much more pain.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN