Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can your 4-5 year old tie their shoes?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 3:06 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 584 Total Views

I am trying to teach my son.... he's not really interested but it would be nice lol his bday 10/18

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 3:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcook55
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:18 PM

no she cant my older child is almost 7 and he just learned about 6 months ago and isn't the greatest at it but does ok. i think most kids learn in kindergarten 

astridnermal
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I teach first grade and out of 26 only 2 could tie their shoes. I am gonna make sure to try and teach ds because it is hard on the teachers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madisonsmommy1
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Yes my daughter has been able to tie her shoes since she was 3 n half she worked so hard she never wanted anyone to tie them for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjsmama0206
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Yes he learned right before he turned 4
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hriabywx4
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Nope. But he only has velcro and flipflops (hangs head in shame lol). If he hasnt learned or isnt good enough by school time he will go in velcro shoes simply because I don't want the teacher to have to tie them for him. I have 3 older boys and they all learn eventually :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aj23
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Mine does. He turned 5 last month. I have bow bitters that I always put on his shoes so his prek teachers didn't have to deal with them and he always liked making Thomas bite the laces so I told him he had to learn to tie them if he wanted to close Thomas. The great thing about those is even if he doesn't tie them that great they still hold the laces and it keeps everyone from having to deal with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karen_S
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Nope. My 5 yo can't. Haven't really tried to teach her yet. We like velcro!

kls32181
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM
My son can't, and has no interest in it at the moment. Especially with the warm weather now all he wants to wear are his flip flops
slittlefield920
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Nope, I tried and it's just too hard for him yet. He'll be 5 in September
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I am still working on teaching my 6 yo niece.  She came to me lacking in so many developmental areas outside of her education.  She is bright but I have had to re--potty train (b/c she has been having so many accidents), teach her how to wipe herself properly, how to wash her body properly, brush her teeth and many other things that a 6 you should know by now.  I am sure that we will have most of these covered by the time summer vacation is over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN