Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've found a great workbook series

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 5:57 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 240 Total Views

I've found a really great workbook series: Funny Phonics and Silly Spelling

I bought the 6-7 year workbook for my older, but found that it was a bit too easy for her, so I tried it on my 5-year-old and she's loving it. Each subject is 2 pages long. After the 2 pages are completed, she gets to put a gold star (included) on the certificate at the back. She's really excited to get stars. The other day she said with excitement, "I'm learning how to read!". I thought that was great. And she really is learning how to read little by little.

I've ordered her a math workbook and my older 2 other workbooks and they can't wait to get them.

What workbooks have you all tried?

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Karen_S
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 12:10 AM
They aren't workbooks, but we like the books Games for reading, Games for Writing and Games for Math. Makes learning fun.
Elibellamiah
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Are you homeschooling? Or is this just in addition to school? I'm homeschooling. I've picked up some of the preschool and kindergarten workbooks that I've seen at the store and my kids have liked those. Otherwise I've so far done Abeka books for school. I have a love hate relationship with Abeka, on the one hand I think they work really well, at least they did for my son, on the other hand I hate how the parents guides are laid out and it's all written for a classroom even though it's sold as homeschool. You would think they could do a little more work besides going in and changing "students" to "student" all through out the book. You know, having your student have a contest with him or herself doesn't make a lot sense, neither does calling your student to your desk one at a time or giving them daily homework and asking the other parent to check off that they did it. They also want the students to memorize several hundred special sounds which is ridiculous to me. I had my son skip that in the workbooks because I couldn't even remember what the special sounds were myself. As long as he can read the words I don't care if he knows all the hundreds of phonics rules.

shakesrear
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:43 PM

No, I don't homeschool and I'm not sure I would be a good teacher if I could. But, English is the minority language here, so I want to work on their English with them. The good thing is that both my older daughters got into a great public bilingual school (English/French). It's pretty rare in France, so we're feeling pretty lucky that we live here. They have to pass a test to get in, and the competition is stiff because EVERYONE wants into this school (every year, for 33 places in first  grade, there are at least 100 applicants).

Once they get in, then the classes are 50% French, 50% English, which is also pretty rare for even a bilingual school. They work about double because they are following both the French program and the British program. I just wanted to get my younger daughter prepared ahead of time because up until now, she's been in French public school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)