• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!!! Wallys become a night owl!!!

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:21 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 161 Total Views

I posted this in the obedience post too.  Wallys been staying up in the night.  I don't know if he's sleeping too much during the day or what.  When hes awake in the night we don't play with him but encourage him to chew bones.  I'm thinking this is like when my kids were small and I kept them awake during the day so they'd sleep better at night.  How do we keep a St. Bernard up during the day?  We take him out to play but he naps under a tree!!!   HELP!!!!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
DogsMom
by Member on May. 24, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Wishing you the best. Find a toy that he enjoys playing with by himself quietly (??) so you can sleep.

You have the right idea, keeping him awake during your alert hours, so he will be tired through the night, but also pay attention to your feeding and watering times as well.  Take away food and water (if he is waking needing to go out and then stays awake) at least 2 or 3 hours before bedtime.
Take a brisk walk just before bedtime. Good for both of you.
And try to have him sleep in an area with few noise distractions.

Good luck.

CATCHERSMOM
by Member on May. 24, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Thanks for the help.  We do take his food but not his water at night so tonight I'll take both.

He's taken to sleeping beside the toliet (ewwww) the last few days so we borrowed a dog cage and put it up in the living room.  The door is open and we put a rug, his pillow and a chew bone in there.   He can still be with us but have his own space.

Its sooooo hard to be mad at him!!!  He's got the cutest face!!  If I sound mad he runs over and licks my face----come on who can resist that??? 

DogsMom
by Member on May. 24, 2009 at 1:17 PM

After looking at his face...who could resist?  Spend as much time with him as he asks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)