Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baths and fleas

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:47 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 166 Total Views

Since day one we've kept that flea stuff on Wally from the vet--you kow the kind you put on their neck??  Anyway he was itching like crazy so I called the vet and he said that when I give him a bath I wash off the flea stuff so I should buy this oatmeal shampoo (from the vet) to replenish the oils in his skin then re-apply the flea stuff.  So I did.   So Wally starts itching again.  I call the vet and take him in.  He says Wally has fleas but we've NEVER seen a flea on him.  My question for you guys is--What do you bathe your dogs in??  I've heard Dawn dish soap kills fleas.  How often do you give your dogs a bath??  I LOVE Sir Wally but he LOVES mud, dirt and water so he stinks alot.  But now I'm afraid to give him a bath for fear of washing off the flea stuff.  HELP!!!!   Thanks  Judy (Wallys mom)

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
DogsMom
by Member on Aug. 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM

After giving a bath you need to wait at least 24 hours for the skin oils to return to normal levels for the flea drops to absorb and cover the entire body. But once absorbed, any flea drops you buy from vet, or even higher priced ones from store, should not wash off with a bath.  Some of the lesser protective ones may but the idea is that the drops absorb into the hair and the fatty tissues to protect the whole dog.  You do not want to be reapplying chemicals on your dog weekly.  Also do not mix flea treatments because of chemical reactions.

If you want to use Dawn to wash the dog, use only the original blue. Other formulas have extra chemicals in them that are not pet safe.  Dial is also a good choice.  Then again, soaps have a drying effect on the skin and hair, so you don't want to over do that either.  If he plays in the dirt, maybe just give him a hosing off between baths.  Or powder with cornstarch and brush/vacuum it off.

The places to look for fleas are in the groin area, inside the ears, and just above the eyes.
If you have fleas you must also treat the house and any bedding he has been on.

I think with all the rain and several hot humid days, this has been one of the worse flea seasons we have had for a while.  Luckily I have not seen ticks yet, but summer and fall have a ways to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)