• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you also have cats?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 181 Total Views

We have 2 cats - both under 3 years old.

We will be taking home our new St.Bernard puppy for the first time mid-September - and we are worried how the cats will react.

We will introduce them slowly - let them enter a room after he has been in it and smell his smell before they are allowed in a room with him - but I think it will still come as a huge shock to them, and they probably wont like it one bit.

So, any advice or past experience about bringing home pup to meet the cats?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
JoGibson
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I have 4 of my own and at least 3 or 4 foster cats (volunteer for a rescue) and as long as the dog is brought up to respect them you will have no issues.  In fact the cats will take full advantage of the good nature of your saint.

DogsMom
by Member on Aug. 27, 2009 at 3:13 PM

The cats will adjust quickly enough. Allow them places to be higher than the pup, let them check him out at their own pace, even while dog is asleep.  Be sure cats have a private spot to use litterbox.  My cats and dogs share water bowls,  I regularly find a cat curled up in a kennel/crate with a dog. All feel it is their safe spot and will curl up inside even with door open.

goatmom4
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:06 PM

when the puppy learns some manners like sitting and leave it that helps       the cats will probaly want to  teach  the puppy the pecking order just make sure he leaves   their food alone   they can be above him my dog loves are cats he kisses  them one likes him one doesnt     they will work it  out      I bet your puppy is adorable

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)