Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Did this pregnant actress put her baby's life at risk by having a little vacation fun?

Posted by   + Show Post

There are so many no-nos during pregnancy, but every mom-to-be has to decide what she's comfortable doing.

I saw today that pregnant actress Elsa Pataky went down an inflatable waterslide off a yacht while vacationing in St. Barts. She recently announced the pregnancy and is due this spring.

Do you think she was putting her baby at risk? Or was this no more dangerous than lots of other things expecting moms do every day? (After all, baby is pretty well-cushioned in there!) Did you do anything like this while pregnant?

(image from the story at People.com)

by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Replies (11-20):
KRISTAL_WILDER
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be more worried about her climbing the ladder back up. I dont think its harmful at all.

HoosierNative
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 9:49 AM
3 moms liked this

I was about 9 weeks pregnant with my second child, and I went on that himalaya ride at a carnival once. LOLLL talk about mixing morning sickness with that feeling of vertigo after spinning forward and backwards. whew!LOLL He turned out just fine and I had a healthy pregnancy. Don't think i'd of done it at 8 weeks, but there are probably women who bungee jump and don't know they are pregnant either and probably have healthy pregnancies.

People need to realize that no mom is going to put her child(born or unborn) in harm's way if she feels that it's going to be detrimental. It's a slide for crying out loud, it's not smoking pot or drinking half a case of beer, it's a water slide. I agree pregnant women can have fun too. :)

Mama2ETA
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 9:49 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Mena929:

It is a slide. I don't think it was harmful in any way.

this. how is this even getting attention? lol

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this

I think she is fine.  My OB cleared me to go to an amusement park and ride certain kinds of rides at 4-5 monts pregnant.  Of course, you have to use your best judgement for some of them.  Lucky for me my inlaws lived near the park, and they were able to tell me first hand which rides had surprise stops/force on them.  And I bet she has a nice doctor who probably talked to her about "vacation safety."

See, it isn't rides themselves that is the issue: It's sudden jerking motions and G force that can cause problems.  Going down a slide into water in general won't cause enough force.

sashamom03
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this
It doesn't look like a real steep slide. I think that's ok. But any of those other amusement park rides she should avoid.
BetcCarter
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I know a woman who goes skiing when she is pregant...this seems less dangerous than that...

hendrickson
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I fell on my stomach after tripping over my feet, when pregnant, and it put me into preterm labor... I would NEVER get on slide like that. Completely irresponsible!

StartAgain10
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this
I've done stuff like this while pregnant, not off a yacht....but LOL. I agree, pregnant woman should have fun too! Some pregnant lady is going rock or mountain climbing or something. Now that's dangerous.

Beautiful christian remarried mommy to 5 beautiful children, step-mommy to one.....And pregnant again! =) 

katzmeow726
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

It's a water slide...not a roller coaster.

Good grief people! 

Lebeaglemom
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

umm I dont think its that big of a deal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)