Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Did this pregnant actress put her baby's life at risk by having a little vacation fun?

Posted by   + Show Post

There are so many no-nos during pregnancy, but every mom-to-be has to decide what she's comfortable doing.

I saw today that pregnant actress Elsa Pataky went down an inflatable waterslide off a yacht while vacationing in St. Barts. She recently announced the pregnancy and is due this spring.

Do you think she was putting her baby at risk? Or was this no more dangerous than lots of other things expecting moms do every day? (After all, baby is pretty well-cushioned in there!) Did you do anything like this while pregnant?

(image from the story at People.com)

by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Replies (31-40):
mommakrista
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

i went on the rapid white waters at Schlitterbahn (water park) NINE months pregnant. and i went on it three times, aswell as many other water slides.. and everything went fine! perfect delivery, pefect baby:)

so NO, its perfectly fine.. aslong as the mother feels comfortable. plus i weight like 100 lbs when i got pregnant and by the time i was due i weight at the most 140.. soo.. i wasnt that big. :P

EsmeVincent
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Quoting hendrickson:

I fell on my stomach after tripping over my feet, when pregnant, and it put me into preterm labor... I would NEVER get on slide like that. Completely irresponsible!

Im sorry that happened to you, but falling ON your stomach, and sitting on your bottom and sliding are opposites. Not comparable. She isnt putting a blunt force to her stomach like your accident did.

right, shes sliding into water not a wall or something hard

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Christine0813
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Agree.

Quoting wifeandmomof2.5:

Unless there was a large impact at the end of the slide I wouldnt worry.  Pregnant women should have fun too!

TabM
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Paigesmommy78:

i wouldn't have done it but i dont think it was to bad of a thing its not like she was riding a roller coaster

Interesting that you mentioned roller coaster. The first time I was pregnant I had just found out. I was 6 weeks, we were trying but didn't expect it to happen so quickly. I had a trip to the amusement park planned and asked the dr about roller coasters. She told me there would be no harm to the baby at that stage and it would take a major trauma to effect my baby being that small. So, I go, have fun, ride all the rides with a clear conscience.

I had my first ultrasound a few weeks later and there was no heartbeat and according to the size the growth stopped right around 6 weeks. The doctor said there is no way to connect the two and it was most likely to happen anyway but I will always wonder if it was my fault.

In my future pregnancies I was much more cautious, mabye overly so. I'm not saying that she shouldn't have done it and her doctor probably would have told her it was perfectly fine but from my experience I was super careful because if god forbid something did happen I don't want to live with the guilt that it may have been something I did.

But not judging her, every mother is entitled to make her own decisions just sharing some insight that I learned the hard way.

i.heart.nerds
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM
No I don't think she did anything to put her baby in danger.
There is more danger going up and down the stairs.
hendrickson
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I rent an extra large blow up slide, just like that one for my daughter and school every summer... and I go down it too.... and I hardly ever land at the bottom on my bottom. That kinda slide isnt like a regular playground slide... you bounce and jump around... you land at the bottom ON your stomach and sides... NOT your bottom.  That was the point in me sharing the falling on stomach story.

And when I rent them each year... there is a disclosure that pregnant women should not slide down them. Ponder on that... why do you think the manufacture post on the sheet that I have to sign (and on the front of the slide) that pregnant women shouldn't slide down them? Because they don't want to be liable for pregnancy complications... because there is a chance that you can have problems if you do it.

Haven't you ever taken your kid to a BounceU, jumpers house or Monkey Joe's???? How do they land at the bottom? How do they slide down? It's not some smooth sail down to a nice cushioning landing.

Last summer, I had 4 kids get injuries from landing at the bottom. One girl (12 year old) actually pulled a muscle in her abdomen and I had to call her parents as well as twisted her ankle. Two kids actually hurt their stomachs (10 and 12), Three of the kids sprang their ankles, and one injuried his face when he flew up into the side of the slide after landing and bouncing at the bottom.

This the is 10 year who cried for an hour with pain in his side from slide:

This is 12 year old (100 lbs - so the actress probably has 10-15 lbs on her) that had to go home after injuring her lower abdomen:

And this my daugher from last year and the year before... she actually avoided injury... I just wanted to post her.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Quoting hendrickson:

I fell on my stomach after tripping over my feet, when pregnant, and it put me into preterm labor... I would NEVER get on slide like that. Completely irresponsible!

Im sorry that happened to you, but falling ON your stomach, and sitting on your bottom and sliding are opposites. Not comparable. She isnt putting a blunt force to her stomach like your accident did.

Group owner: Maury County (TN) and area moms      Proud Member: Daughters of Abraham

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't do it but doesn't mean I think she is wrong. It's her choice and it's not something with negative side affects :)

aamommy2011
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:53 AM

as long as there's no caution sign for pregnant women, why not have fun????

hendrickson
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Had you ever slid into water? I grew up with one of the largest lakes in Tennessee in my backyard. It stings and hurts when you land into the water AND if you get to boucing around you "belly flop" so to speak, into the water. I just wouldnt risk it.

Quoting EsmeVincent:

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Quoting hendrickson:

right, shes sliding into water not a wall or something hard

Liansmommie
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting worwalkerlds:

I was in a car accident just after my first trimester and the ER doctor told me that I would have to endure extreme trauma to hurt my growing baby.  Our bodies are made to carry and to protect a fetus.  I don't think this woman is doing anything wrong. 

I was hit by car while I was crossing the street, at 36 weeks. I was torn up. I lost the use of my arm and shoulder, couldn't bend one knee and a bunch of other injuries. It tooks years of therapy to get back "most" of what I lost. The boy slept through the whole thing. =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN